• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof set holders and pvc

3 posts in this topic

I have been reading and trying to get the most info I can on the fact that the holders that the US Mint puts their proof sets in can possibly damage the coins within time. My question is, what are some precautions for me to take. I am interested in finding an alternative holder that the coins can fit in. My sets I have are the '93, '97, and '99-2005 all are silver proof sets.

Also, has it been reported that the proof sets from 1969 and 1970 have had damage done while these coins have remained in their US Mint holders?

Currently, to my naked eye, seem to have no damage done yet.

Thanks.

Lonman

The principle problem with the original mint packing is that these holders are not airtight. These original holders will allow outside environmental chemicals and humidity to collect then react with the surface of the coins inside.

The best storage method for these coins would be to have them encapsulated in airtight holders such as the hermetically sealed holders offered by NGC. The snap together hard plastic holders free of PVC offer greater protection by not as much as do the hermetically sealed NGC holders.

Chris, NCS