• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In what environment will coins tone?

12 posts in this topic

I'll start off by saying that I'm not trying to AT coins, I want to just help them out a little

I have a nice '45 mercury dime that is starting to get some rainbow toning aroun the edge. If I want this coin to continue to tone, what type of holder should it be in? It is currently in my Dansco type set album, without a corrosion cover. Will it continue to tone? How long will it take to cover the coin? 1 year? 5yrs? 10? More?

Thanks for the help,

Zach

I've seen some nice Dansco toners,but Wayte Raymonds will do them faster and prettier...Put them up in your closet too,that will usually provide the best conditions for natural toning....

Hayden

If you want the toning to continue then do nothing! The location w/i the album makes all of the difference. If you try to accelerate it by changing things now then, chances are, you'll be disappointed.

The Wayte Raymond albums are known for fabulous toning but after decades of storage. Other attemps to accelerate them are just not the same in my experience.

I did have a Walker starting to form a gorgeous blue crescent on the reverse and, wanting more, I left it be and it turned ugly. Keep this in mind. There is a point where the eye-appeal reaches a zenith.

I have several Wayte Raymond albums which I've filled with coins. A select few are starting to tone, but based on the time progression, I expect I may hit the lottery before I'm able to survive on the proceeds from the sale of my toned coins!

James

I got an Idea.

If I bought one of those extra mint bags that the mint is selling, and I put ten AU/BU Morgans in there and left it sit ten years, would they get that rainbow tone like the one in Hayden's avatar?

If I did this, what would happen if the bag was disturbed during the toning process?

Zach

I got an Idea.

If I bought one of those extra mint bags that the mint is selling, and I put ten AU/BU Morgans in there and left it sit ten years, would they get that rainbow tone like the one in Hayden's avatar?

If I did this, what would happen if the bag was disturbed during the toning process?

Zach

It's possible but not likely. For every nicely toned coin there are probably hundreds that tone ugly. Lots of these get dipped to death.

Every coin is a different deal and may tone in a different manner, may I say that again?

Every coin is a different deal and may tone in a different manner.

There is no way to know what may already be laying on the surface of a coin when you first receive it.

Add a difference it temperature, humidity and the new type of storage (holder or album) and you have nothing more that a gamble as to what will happen. So many things come into play when it comes to toning insane.gif

humidity will do it devil.gifheat and mositure devil.gif

this is the key

I live in South Florida............further south than Hayden.............everyone send me their coin collections!

Chris

I'll start off by saying that I'm not trying to AT coins, I want to just help them out a little

I have a nice '45 mercury dime that is starting to get some rainbow toning aroun the edge. If I want this coin to continue to tone, what type of holder should it be in? It is currently in my Dansco type set album, without a corrosion cover. Will it continue to tone? How long will it take to cover the coin? 1 year? 5yrs? 10? More?

Thanks for the help,

Zach

toning? what is this?

humidity will do it devil.gifheat and mositure devil.gif

this is the key

I live in South Florida............further south than Hayden.............everyone send me their coin collections!

Chris

Yes,but you get too much moisture! At least everytime a hurricane rules through... tongue.gif