• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another new purchase: Bust half dime

13 posts in this topic

Last week I was watching an 1834 bust half dime that Hayden had spammed the boards with in NGC AU58 on ebay. As I watched his coin get bid up I found another 1834 in PCGS AU58 that closed the day before Hayden's. While there was nothing wrong with Hayden's coin, I liked the PCGS coin better.

Now I am usually cheap and look for bargains, but I also want decent looking coins and will pass on coins that don't have good appeal (unless they are rediculously cheap). This coin wasn't starting off cheap and I was torn. But before the auction closed Hayden's coin was bid up past the opening bid of the PCGS coin, so I decided to go for it. I did have to outbid one other bidder to get it. It just arrived today.

1834.jpg

One thing that attracted me to this coin was the die marriage. It is an LM-3 which is a R3 variety. One interesting thing about the LM-3 is that it used the same obverse die as the LM-1. If you check the Heritage archives you will see that there were two LM-1's and three LM-3's in the Reiver sale. Both the LM-1's were designated as "3 over inverted 3" while none of the LM-3's were designated. Having come from the same obverse die, the LM-3 is also a "3 over inverted 3" variety.

Of the three LM-3's in the Reiver sale, the highest graded one was XF45. L & M state that high grade examples of this variety are hard to locate.

You might have noticed from the pictures that the coin looks a bit rough around the neck, lower curls and clasp. Apparently the die developed rust pits between the time it was used for LM-1 and when it was used again for LM-3.

The reverse die was used for LM-2 and was lapped on latter die state examples. The die was lapped again while being used to produce the LM-3. The leaves and the arrow shafts show a good bit of weakness.

I am quite happy with the coin. While I still haven't completed a date set and haven't even considered a variety set I do like to pick up scarcer varietys for my date set. The LM-3 is tied with the LM-5 for the scarcest of the 1834 varieties.

Ummm,actually I was only spamming that one on the BST. poke2.gif

The better variety not withstanding,your coin is very attractive. I would have taken this coin over mine any day! Congrats on the pickup. thumbsup2.gif

Hayden

Ummm,actually I was only spamming that one on the BST. poke2.gif

True, but I needed to get that jab in. poke2.gif

cough, cough... AT ...cough, cough

flowerred.gif

Impossible. Didn't you see the PCGS slab? 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

This is not the large 4 variety is it? It seems like the regular one to me smile.gif

I believe the large and small 4 varieties are on the 1834 dimes, not half dimes.

Neat coin. I have the same coin a few years later with a similar cud in the 8:

It seems that is a popular place for a die chip. The upper loop of S2 on the reverse is also a popular place for a die chip. From your picture I think yours is obverse die 5 which was used on LM12, LM13 and LM14. I'm guessing LM12 since it's the most common variety (R2) and I don't see a die crack between the 3 and 2 in the date.

This is not the large 4 variety is it? It seems like the regular one to me smile.gif

I believe the large and small 4 varieties are on the 1834 dimes, not half dimes.

You are correct ... I for some reason thought you posted a dime... silly me