• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else remember this? Another AT story

4 posts in this topic

I'm guessing about two years ago, on the PCGS boards, there was a story that went something like this.... A commerative coin, I forget which issue, unslabbed/graded, had "monster" toning" found at a major show. It just so happens this coin had the same story as the Peace Dollar that is now causing all the discussion. "Ownership was traced, provenance provided etc" to either PCGS or NGC. I forget which one. Well, the owner after it was slabbed happened to be Anaconda, the same guy with the Peace dollar/same story. Anyone else remember this? Who slabbed it? Pretty weird. Same story, same guy, coin gets slabbed.

You are thinking of the Roanoke in ANACS67 with outrageous colors. I viewed this coin firsthand. The story goes, the coin resided in an ANACS67 holder for several years. The owner wanted $10K. Many people talked about it, but the coin never sold, until a certain Long Beach show 2-3 years ago. The coin was subsequently purchased for about $7K by a collector, then another collector bought the coin, but returned it at the same Long Beach show. Undoubtedly, PCGS and NGC have rejected the crossover many, many times, at least three times that I am aware of. A dealer from Louisiana finally bought the coin, gathered information and made a compelling case for crossover to NGC. It was finally crossed to an NGC holder. The Louisiana dealer sold it to Anaconda, who then sold it to a client. Supposedly, the end user paid well into 5 figures for the coin.

TRUTH