• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase Two Cent Piece

19 posts in this topic

I made a reference in another post a while back about not being able to resist picking up duplicates. Well, I just did it again and picked up another 1864 deuce. I'm not sure what it is about these that I like so much. Old copper definately has a draw, even if it's not EAC type material. I also am drawn to the oddball denominations.

Give me your opinion on what you think this coin should be graded. I will tell you it's in an old Hallmark slab and you can guess what you think the slab says too. I polished the slab but it looks like I still picked up one small scuff on the plastic above the shield.

1864_4.jpg

I will say, I think the toning is original and I paid way less than $14K. grin.gif

That’s a nice looking 2 cent piece which I think it would grade a technical MS64 BN. I think this is one of them cases where the coin speaks for it’s self regardless of the grade. Very nice thumbsup2.gif

This is a pretty astute group here with some great observations. As I said, the coin is in an old Hallmark slab and the label says MS63 Brown. I don't think anyone would argue with the Brown designation.

I have several MS64 two cent pieces, mostly in NGC holders. This coin is cleaner than any of them, except perhaps one that's in an old fatty slab that I think should upgrade. I agree the coin is a very clean MS64 with a shot at MS65. As stated, the luster might hold it back from 65, though it does have a good bit of luster left under the brown.

This is only the second Hallmark slab I have owned. The first one had a Rhode Island commem in it graded MS65. I thought it was a lock 65 with a shot at 66. NGC called it a 64. It must have been a bad day at NGC. I'm thinking of sending it to ANACS for a fancy new holder. I may send this deuce to ANACS too. NGC might call it an MS62, based on my previous experience. confused.gif

It looks like a heck of a nice coin and very original, too. As mentioned, I would hold it back from an MS65BN more for the apparent muted luster than for anything else. It appears to be a solid MS64BN. These pieces are quite nice, much more scarce when problem-free than many other coins, yet languish in their published bids. However, that allows astute buyers to gobble up the coins when offered. thumbsup2.gif