• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conserved Binion Morgan

2 posts in this topic

I am the new owner of this interesting Binion with an advertising sticker on the rev Binion and I was wondering what was done to it to conserve it. It seems like to me conserving would involving removing the sticker which could cause permanent damage if left on it.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I bought it BECAUSE OF the sticker because I collect weird & interesting Morgans. I was wondering exactly what was done to it.

Thank you, Dog

This an interest coin. When we reviewed it we were faced with a bit of dilemna. Do we remove the sticker or leave it? In the end, we decided that because many people collect coins that have advertising stickers like this on them, we would leave it and let the owner of the coin decide. It a sense this coin is similar to the very popular Civil War Store Cards, Merchants tokens and even Hard Time tokens when merchant produced token or counterstamped coins to advertise their business. While Civil War token and Hard Times tokens were made more out of necessity due to coinage shortages, they still often prominently advertised the merchant. A sticker is really just a modern version of this.

Clifford Mishler of Krause publications often highlights coins like this in his column in Numismatic News.

The coin should be fairly stable now that it is in a holder. You should store it in a cool dry enviroment and out of direct sunlight. I really don't anticipate their being any problems with the sticker, which may add to this coin rather than detract from it.

However, if at any time you would like it removed, just let us know.