• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me grade a walker and a Morgan

12 posts in this topic

I picked up some raw circulated silver last week and just got a chance to go through it. I found two coins which stood out as a little better grade but wanted to get some expert opinions. I have no ability to grade at this point, although I plan to get some books on the subject so that I can learn for myself. At this point, all I have to go by is comparison to certified coins in various grades I already own. Both coins appear circulated, although the Morgan seems to be approaching AU or within AU (much more so on the reverse)...but Im not the expert so I will defer to popular opinion on this. The walker is clearly well circulated but it is far more detailed than the typical average walkers I get....figured it was worth posting....

walkerO.PNG

walkerR.PNG

MorganO.PNG

MorganR.PNG

The walker looks cleaned to me as well.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

The morgan looked ok...if it was cleaned it wasnt obvious to me.

I know that the TPG's wont certify a cleaned coin, but can a coin still be graded appropriately even if it has been cleaned? (assuming it is lightly cleaned and the cleaning hasnt damaged the coin?)

The walker looks cleaned to me as well.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

The morgan looked ok...if it was cleaned it wasnt obvious to me.

I know that the TPG's wont certify a cleaned coin, but can a coin still be graded appropriately even if it has been cleaned? (assuming it is lightly cleaned and the cleaning hasnt damaged the coin?)

I think ANACS will still slab cleaned coins with them being so marked and net graded....but I'm not positive about this.

If they have been cleaned, they are damaged. besides, why would you want to get these graded? I'm pretty sure they are common dates, and not worth the grading fees.

If they have been cleaned, they are damaged. besides, why would you want to get these graded? I'm pretty sure they are common dates, and not worth the grading fees.

I have no intention of having these certified...was just curious as to the grade of the coins. They were just a few of the better looking ones in a lot of common silver that I picked up and was curious to know where they stood. The walker is probably cleaned, but the photo of the morgan is misleading...it doesnt appear cleaned in person...light circulation wear, but that is about it.

macrocoin----Walker has a technical grade of XF40----hairlined in fields---definitely cleaned in past---worth nothing but silver value IMHO---very common date

Morgan has a technical grade of AU50----also hairlined and definitely cleaned---again a very common date and worth no more than good silver value IMHO.

Neither coin should be slabbed by 'any' grading service as this would be a waste of good money. Get those books----you are learning. Bob [supertooth]

My $.75 worth (if you average the two face values) but literally my 1/2 cent opinion...

I am by no means an expert on any silver/clad silver coins and have no idea about cleaning appaerance on these series, but I would have graded XF40 on the Walker and 63 on the Morgan. The Morgan looks similar to Morgans I have purchased in the past, perhaps a few more surface marks to the left of and on the face but very similar on the reverse with the chest feathers faintly visible.

Either way, still decent looking coins!

Michael

I really wish I had a better picture. The lighting in the pic of the morgan makes it look cleaned because of the shine, but the coin itself doesnt look like that. Its a lighting thing with the camera. I need to try to get a better picture. In any event, I paid very little for each of these...the walker only cost me $2.91 shippped!

So even if they were both culls I did ok...I suppose I was hoping to find something better among my common bulk silver.

Thanks for all the replies.