• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a "Rule of Thumb" for DMPL?

21 posts in this topic

No, this isn't intended to be a pun! I just received a dozen Morgans that I won in a blind auction. (Yes, they have a return policy.) I've bought others from them before and they have been pretty accurate in their descriptions. Two of them were '78-S......one was listed as DMPL and another was listed as PL.

Anyway, I think they really goofed on the PL. I was removing them from the temporary flips without gloves, and this one immediately felt strange. I couldn't feel the reeding. Upon closer inspection, I realized there was a very, very thin, 2-piece, plastic cover. When I removed the cover, the mirrors were really clear and I could see the reflection of the scissors from 6" away.

Is there a standard for differentiating between PL and DMPL?

Oh, by the way, I mentioned that their descriptions were pretty accurate, but I didn't say that they were complete. So far, I've noted five VAM's they failed to spot.

TIA!

Chris

Yes, there is a standard for differentiating between PL and DMPL.

Thanks, Tubby, very enlightening! confused.gif

That was your question,if there was a standard. You never asked what the standard was... tongue.gif

Yes, there is a standard for differentiating between PL and DMPL.

Thanks, Tubby, very enlightening! confused.gif

That was your question,if there was a standard. You never asked what the standard was... tongue.gif

Thanks, Tubby, very enlightening! 893blahblah.gif

There used to be an instrument of some sort that would help differentiate the two. If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb is that if you can read standard text reflected in the mirrors at 3 inches, then it's SPL (semi-prooflike), 6 inches for prooflike, and fully 12 inches to be DMPL.

James

There used to be an instrument of some sort that would help differentiate the two. If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb is that if you can read standard text reflected in the mirrors at 3 inches, then it's SPL (semi-prooflike), 6 inches for prooflike, and fully 12 inches to be DMPL.

James

Thanks, James! I didn't see your ad in the 2/20/06 CW, but I'm watching for it.

Chris

Well if you were to just ask! yeahok.gif

From my understanding at PCGS/NGC it's 4 inches for PL and 8 inches for DMPL...

DAYLATEANDDOLLARSHORTTUBBYBUTTHANKSFORTHEIMMORALSUPPORT. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Chris

DAYLATEANDDOLLARSHORTTUBBYBUTTHANKSFORTHEIMMORALSUPPORT. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Chris

Hey,I answered your question:"Is there a "Rule of Thumb" for DMPL?" I said yes,what more do you want? confused-smiley-013.gif

sorry.gif

James

James,I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that at 12+ inches it was UDM?

Chris

Hey,I answered your question:"Is there a "Rule of Thumb" for DMPL?" I said yes,what more do you want? confused-smiley-013.gif

sorry.gif

YADA, YADA, YADA!

Here's what NGC had to say:

As a very loose rule, a PL should display clear reflections in the fields from 2" to 4", while a DPL should show clear reflections from 6". In some ways, the clarity of the reflections is of greater consideration then the depth. One way to think about the surface of a PL or DPL dollar is as a mist on a mirror. Less mist (i.e. metal flow, cartwheel) means better clarity. Although many collectors are concerned about depth of reflection, they should also be concerned about clarity of reflection.

Thanks, Travis! This is one of the reasons that I like these boards. I can ask a question and, eventually, I will get an answer or someone will direct me to a good source. If I had to spend the time sifting through a lot of reading material for a certain subject, I might just end up dying in front of my computer. Of course, if that should ever happen, I want you all to celebrate with a-WAKE-ning.

Chris

Thanks, Travis! This is one of the reasons that I like these boards. I can ask a question and, eventually, I will get an answer or someone will direct me to a good source. If I had to spend the time sifting through a lot of reading material for a certain subject, I might just end up dying in front of my computer. Of course, if that should ever happen, I want you all to celebrate with a-WAKE-ning.

Chris

yeahok.gif

Chris

yeahok.gif

Yep yeahok.gif