• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outrageously colored Jefferson nickels from early 60's proof sets

4 posts in this topic

Over the years as I've collected proof sets I would, once in a while, run into a Jefferson nickel that has toned into very deep vibrant colors. These colors seem to run the gambit of the spectrum, but I've found reds, purples, blues, greens, golds, and combinations thereof. I've never seen these colors on on uncirculated Jeffersons (not this deep anyway) and this phenomenon seems to be most prevalent in 1960-1964 Jeffersons. My question is two fold actually: First, Does NGC know why proof Jeffersons from these dates are susceptible to such deep and vibrant toning. And two - you probably knew this was coming - does NGC grade these coins as market acceptable, or would they be deemed "questionable toning" even though they came directly out of proof sets? I am attaching a picture of one of the coins for you to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Frank

My%20Blue.jpg

I don't know if NGC will post this reply, but here goes...

A stab at your first question... The nickels you are refering to have very uniform surfaces and are quite susceptible to various forms of oxidation. When exposed to such forces, the uniformity of the surface "allows" for a uniformity of oxidative change. Thus, the patination of these coins is often dramatic and more uniform on bright proofs than those with some degree of cameo.

As for the latter question, yes, NGC grades these coins and is quite familiar with them. I submitted a few and recieved appropriate grades. I doubt that NGC would mistake a naturally toned proof Jeff of the era you are speaking of for one that was artificially altered. Their experience with such coins, I'd imagine, is fairly vast.

There is market acceptability for these coins, as I've seen many of them sell in auction, in various services' slabs.

Hoot

Frank,

Thanks for your question regarding these vibrantly colored proofs one will ocassionally find. First of all, the colors do occur due to storage conditions, humidity, and general environmental considerations. Secondly, and more importantly, NGC will grade most of these coins and recognizes most of them as market acceptable. There will be certain cases where some of these proofs can be so unusual as to be market questionable. When this happens, you might find that those few coins will not be graded. Looking at your coins, however, I would suggest that the coins would probably be graded, yet due to the quality of the images, I would still want to see them in person.

I also wanted to post a response to your question from our friend Hoot, who also elaborates on these pieces. Having had experience with our service regarding these types of coins, I think you will find his comments relevant.

Thanks to the two of you.

Rick