• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone KNOW how they DO it?

68 posts in this topic

extremely professional photographer with many years of practical experience and a 20k photo set up and great lighting set up

A 20K photo setup. 893whatthe.gif Photography on a budget is possible, and Shane's post has inspired me to share mine. I came to realize that a copy stand was necessary for the quality of photos that I want to take. Instead of buying a copy stand, I bought an old drill press for $2.50 at a yard sale, salvaged the motor, and built a camera mount for the cast iron stand.

The mount is adjustable on the tube, and the upper table is also adjustable. The camera mounts into the stand with a sliding dovetail. You'll see the "tail" attached to the bottom of the camera (using a machine screw just as you would attach the camera to a tripod). Here's a picture of the setup.

1117394-PhotoSetUp2.jpg

Here's a photo with the camera mounted in the stand. I use as much diffused natural light as I can (sometimes reflected with a couple of mirrors) and supplement if necessary with a couple of cheap halogen lamps. Here's a photo of the camera in the stand:

1117397-PhotoSetUp1.jpg

The slab on the table of the stand is a coin that I recently purchased from Greg. Here's a picture of the coin without any Photoshop editing (except cropping). Nice coin, Greg! Hopefully, he'll attest to the accuracy of the photo. blush.gif

1117399-Italy1861M2cupload.jpg

You'll see an extension tube (a 3-part tube) on the desk in front of the camera stand. An extension tube attached to a macro lens permits very close shots like this of a misplaced T on a J-489.

1117412-J-489misplacedTupload.jpg

The quality of the images is actually better than shown here. I shoot in very large format; and, if I want to share the photos here, I have to compress them substantially. Spend your 20K on coins!

I bought an old drill press for $2.50 at a yard sale, salvaged the motor, and built a camera mount for the cast iron stand.

Outstanding IGWT, I like your setup alot, you can't beat the price! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The results speak for themselves. thumbsup2.gif

I see this thread has turned in a here’s my cheap camera setup, so I’ll show mine.

Other then light bulbs I found everything for my setup around the house, my tripod was designed to be able to do work like a copy stand on a table.

xx.jpg

Below is a diagram I did for another board member explaining the lighting setup for axial lighting.

axail-set-up.jpg

Sometimes I add another light along with the axial lighting to give some highlights to the raised devices.

axial-with-two-lites.jpg

1903 PF63 half axially lit:

1903-half-color.jpg

Same half lit with two lights on angles:

1903-half-luster.jpg

I read about this method somewhere; but I'll be darned if I can remember.

I read about axial lighting in a multi-part article on coin photography in Coin World in January 2005 or there about. Maybe there?

Re: light intensity. Reflections will be the same relative intensity regardless of exposure time. An exposure of 1 second at f-16 allows the same amount of light to the CCD/film as 1/30 sec at f-2.8. Except for depth of focus, the two images will be identical. Changing the lighting or camera angle will alter reflections from plastic slabs.

Re: axial lighting. Great for items with low surface contrast or badly worn coins. But awful for slabs since the light source and lens are coincident and perpendicular to the slab surface, thus producing maximum reflection of light from the slab.

Many seem to admire the photos in ANR's catalogs. Why not write to Doug Plasencia and ask for his thoughts?

Re: axial lighting. Great for items with low surface contrast or badly worn coins. But awful for slabs since the light source and lens are coincident and perpendicular to the slab surface, thus producing maximum reflection of light from the slab.

This coin was photographed in it's slab, so I guess it's awfull. foreheadslap.gif

1903-half-color.jpg

If the slab front and the camera are perpendicular and you are using axial lighting you will get intense relflections from the plastic. If they are not perpendicular, then you might getfaint or no reflection. The difference of a degree or two of angle will make a huge difference. The definition of axial lighting is that it is coincident with the len's optical axis. Slightly off-axis lighting can often give ery good results, depending on coin and holder, etc.

The advice to move the light source around until you get what you want is probably the best anyone can supply....

This coin was photographed in it's slab, so I guess it's awfull. foreheadslap.gif

1903-half-color.jpg

You know what's really wierd,that coin looks so darn familiar! How long have you had it? I swear I've seen a coin just like that! 893whatthe.gif

1903-half-color.jpg

You know what's really wierd,that coin looks so darn familiar! How long have you had it? I swear I've seen a coin just like that! 893whatthe.gif

The obverse is similar to mine. Maybe that is what is tinging your bell?

1903-half-color.jpg

The obverse probably reminds you of mine?

1119650-50c1892.jpg

1119650-50c1892.jpg.2e54efbd3266282f07ac25d79464ee34.jpg

The obverse is similar to mine. Maybe that is what is tinging your bell?

Sort of similar,but yours does have that big old blue reverse.

It's just wierd though,that coin looks so familar and I don't know if I've seen it in person or what...maybe I need to hit myself on the head again. insane.gif

It's just wierd though,that coin looks so familar and I don't know if I've seen it in person or what...maybe I need to hit myself on the head again.

Hayden, all I know about my half is that it came from JJTeaparty a few month ago, before that… confused-smiley-013.gif

Victor, that’s your PF64 isn’t it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All I can say is WOW, great looking coin, I think you have a lot of contrast on both sides and great looking toning. Sweet half for your type set. cloud9.gif

Thanks, Paul.

Just got an email saying that the photo software is backordered for a couple of days and still waiting for the camera.

Great thread! Wow -- such beautiful photos! I wish I could do that can of photography.

Shane -- I have grand total of 3 coins that are toned in my personal collection. Two are raw which is a 1970-S cent and 1909 VDB cent. The 1970-S is rainbow while the 1909 VDB is bulls-eye toning both obverse and reverse. The other is slabbed by ANACS 1953-D Roosey grading MS-66 FSB. It's rainbow toned on the obverse but the reverse is blast white. I always wanted to have some photos on these three and any opinions about them.

Is it possible that if I sent you the 3 coins you could photograph them for me? I would more than include cost, postage return, etc.? You can PM me if feasible.