• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out this So Called Dollar!

15 posts in this topic

I won this on eBay about a week ago. It is an HK-557 Eugene Oregon Dollar struck in gilt bronze. It is in an NGC holder graded MS-67.

1103239-DSCF1007.JPG

1103242-DSCF1005.jpg

The first thing I’m sure everyone will notice is that the obverse design of this medal is very similar to that of the reverse design of the Oregon early commems, which was the main thing that attracted me to this medal.

I think it’s cool to see this design, which is considered one of the best of the early commems in a bright gold color, and as a collector of early commems I think this medal makes a great addition to my collection. The reverse design is nicely done also in my opinion, but what I like the most about the reverse are the three die cracks that I didn’t even know were there until I received the medal.

Without magnification they are barely visible, but I feel the die cracks give the medal character.

John

That is way cool!

Ditto that! There's a bit more than a lot going on on the reverse of that SC$! And nothing like ripping off LG Fraser for the obverse! 893whatthe.gifyay.gif

Hoot

In addition to the Eugene, Oregon SCD, it was also used for at least four others: Redmond, Independence, Salem and Bend.

I am constantly amazed by how much I do not know. Thanks, guys.

Edited to add: Well, I used to be constantly amazed . . . now I just kind of expect to not know.

Chris,

Yes, according to the Hibler & Kappen book what I am calling the reverse was used on four other Oregon statehood centennial SCD’s, but they are listed as the Buchanan-Eisenhower, independence wagon train, state capitol-Salem, and the wagon train.

What are the Redmond & Bend issues you mentioned? Also to be accurate, what I called the reverse was actually designed as a common obverse for all five of the Oregon statehood centennial SCD’s .

Although I knew this, I referred to it as the reverse because all of the graded examples that I have seen of these medals have been placed that way in the NGC holders. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Chris,

Yes, according to the Hibler & Kappen book what I am calling the reverse was used on four other Oregon statehood centennial SCD’s, but they are listed as the Buchanan-Eisenhower, independence wagon train, state capitol-Salem, and the wagon train.

What are the Redmond & Bend issues you mentioned? Also to be accurate, what I called the reverse was actually designed as a common obverse for all five of the Oregon statehood centennial SCD’s .

Although I knew this, I referred to it as the reverse because all of the graded examples that I have seen of these medals have been placed that way in the NGC holders. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

The correct obverse, as you pointed out, is the official emblem selected by the Oregon Centennial Commission. I've only seen one of the Bend, OR issues (bid on four different ones at the same time, but lost the Bend). I can't recall what the reverse looked like (damned old age!), but the Redmond, OR issue has HOME OF THE SCENIC JUNIPER TRAIL and SOUVENIR CENTENNIAL MONEY along the top and bottom of the rim, respectively. In the center is GOOD FOR 50c IN TRADE AT ANY COOPERATIVE BUSINESS OR REDEEMABLE AT FACE VALUE AT THE REDMOND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE UNTIL 3 P.M. SATURDAY SEPT. 26, 1959 REDMOND, OREGON.

In celebration of the Oregon Centennial, I believe each city used the official obverse with any reverse they chose. The "GOOD FOR...." was probably the cheapest way to go. I'm curious to know if there may be others floating around for cities like Portland and Springfield.

Chris

Hi John,

I think that the Eugene piece is the nicest of the Oregon Centennial SCD issues with that great Wagon on the old trail. The die cracks that you see are on every one of the Eugene Dollars that I have seen including the silver plated piece that isn't notated by HK. This silver plated piece is not to be confused with the silver piece that has Sterling on the edge HK#556, but was issued in a small quantity of about 100 or so if my info is correct.You can find many issues of the Oregon Centennial that were used by businesses and towns that are classified as Good-Fors as they have a monetary redemption value on them usually 50 cents and some are quite rare and interesting, I like the Grant's Pass Caveman piece.

Regards,

dealmakr

Hey dealmaker!

Glad my post pulled you in from lurker status! grin.gif

Thanks for the info about the die cracks, I didn’t know that they seem to be on all the Eugene pieces. I also was unaware of the silver plated examples.

Will you be at the next Parsippany show? If so I’ll bring the Eugene, I’d like to hear your opinion of it after you see it in person.

Take care

John

Yes, I love this SCD and have one myself. They had a fairly high mintage and seem to have been well struck and preserved since most I've seen are all high grade.