• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you grade this Franklin proof a cameo?

7 posts in this topic

I picked up an NGC slabbed 1960 PF66 Franklin half today. I got a fair price on it and have no regrets. It has great mirror on the obverse and excellent relief features on the reverse. In looking at it at the shop, the thing that pushed me to pick it up was that the obverse has what I would say are clear indications of a cameo grade. A nicely frosted Ben sits atop a deeply mirrored field. My camera isnt the greatest, but based on my pics, would you say this is worth of PF66Cam? The reverse does not display the same frosted features...the reverse is sharp, but not a lot of contrast. Is that what held back the original grade?

Whats not 'cameo' about this obverse?

ObverseBF.JPG

Granted the reverse isnt highly frosted, but its sharp...

ReverseBF.JPG

And take a look at the reflections in the field (held at an angle to get the shot)

MirrorBF.JPG

The price difference between a PF66 and a PF66CAM would justify the cost of having this resubmitted. I have never submitted anything for grading before, so I figured I would get some opinions here before incurring the expense. If the coin stands as is, I will be happy - I sure would love to see it designated a CAM though.

Comments?

It's just darn hard to tell the grade of a brilliant proof from a pic. Given the pic, I'd say it looks more like a PF64, but the coin may be quite different in-hand.

As for the cameo designation, the obverse looks like it has all the contrast to receive a CAM designation, but the reverse does not. NGC will sometimes give a star to such coins instead of calling it CAM, but most of the time, the reverse must also show some degree of cameo contrast.

When you join the Collector's Society, you get 5 free earlybird submissions, which is a bargain. This may be your best bet for submitting your first coins to NGC.

Hoot

Like Hoot said, I think it would get a Star if resubmitted, but not Cameo. Both sides need pretty good contrast for it to receive the designation, which the reverse doesn't appear to have. But on the bright side, the obverse is really nice.

So many of these coins from the 1950s through the late 1960s look like they should be CAM, but aren't. Often, it's because one side or the other just doesn't warrant the designation.

ANACS will certify a coin and designate the appropriate side a CAM, such as:

PF-67 OBV CAM

I believe NGC will often give such a coin a "star", as a way of "making up" for the lack of cameo on both sides. In other words, your coin might warrant a "PF-68 *" grade, basically meaning "close, but no cigar".

James

Thanks for the responses.

I suppose on the bright side, I got 1/2 a CAM for the price of none smile.gif

The obverse is really beautiful...and regarding the grade, my camera work doesnt do the coin justice. In hand its a great example of the Franklin half.

This is why I havent submitted anything for re-grading...usually I have one of those 'close but no cigar' coins. Still, I really like it!

I believe NGC will often give such a coin a "star", as a way of "making up" for the lack of cameo on both sides. In other words, your coin might warrant a "PF-68 *" grade, basically meaning "close, but no cigar".

Yes,but not always! tongue.gif

James

The following is a quote from an NGC article

In applying star designations to applicable proof coins, all of the above criteria apply for toned coins. Untoned coins, however, must meet one of the additional criteria outlined below to qualify:

- They display cameo or ultra cameo contrast on the obverse only.

- Coins that do not qualify for cameo but which display cameo contrast on both the obverse and reverse that falls just short of NGC’s minimum standard for cameo may receive a star. (Coins that display only a subtle contrast will not receive a star or a cameo designation.)

- They qualify for the cameo designation and, in addition, have an ultra cameo obverse.

- They qualify for the ultra cameo designation and, in addition, exhibit exceptionally intense contrast between devices and fields on both the obverse and reverse that exceeds by a generous margin that of the normal ultra cameo standard.

The rest of the article can be found here link