• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT Coins for Circulation

5 posts in this topic

I know this sounds dumb, but I started doing this a few weeks ago. I had picked up a few rolls of quarters, unrelated to collecting, and put some heat to them just so see what kind of toning I could get. I put about 15 of them in a plain cardboard box, inside some old mint envelopes I had lying around. I placed the box on top of a wall furnace I have in the room over my garage. As you can imagine, these furnaces created quite a bit of heat to keep a room just 65 degrees.

Anyway, I was stunned by the colors that I achieved in just a few hours.

they looked obviously AT (duh), but brilliant reds and blues and greens and purples. Ill put them into circulation just to surprise whoever gets them next.

I was surprised clad coinage would tone the way it did. mainly I wanted to get an idea of some of the color patterns and look of AT coins. It's fun, and I will continue.......I might do the same with some Mint set Kennedy's I have laying around. They are not Gems, so are worth about 50 cents to me. Ill try some pics with the next batch.