• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof 2006 Panda

2 posts in this topic

I've always read that "proof" is defined as a method of coin manufacture, and is not an indication of condition or quality of strike. But I've just run across an eBay listing for an NGC certified PF70 ULTRA CAMEO 2005 CHINA 10Y PANDA (1858711-011). [The eBay item number is 8381955096.] This puzzles me, since none of the Chinese mints have issued a proof 10Y silver Panda since 1999. Can you explain to me how NGC decided to identify this coin as a proof issue, when the issuing mint says it isn't?

This is what is known as a mechanical error on NGC’s part. Since the finish of the modern Panda coinage from China is so close to Proof coins manufactured by the United States Mint and other countries a few coins unfortunately were mislabeled. If the coin was sent back to NGC it would be corrected free of charge.

Jay Turner

Grader and Attributor