• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PR70 Beauties (More Money Than Brains)

35 posts in this topic

Personally I don’t feel a set should be allowed to be hidden. If you want to put your set in the registry you should at least have to show the grading company and cert. numbers. I feel that if you are that private you should not put your set up for public view or should I say public non-view.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif Agreed. Let them enter their set, but don't allow it to show up. That's one thing I really hated across the street. You'd see a top set (High Desert for example) and you couldn't see what was in it. Why list it if you aren't going to show it off. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Maybe I am missing something here.... I thought the whole point of these boards AND the Registries was to give collectors a chance to interact (in a positive way), and also a chance to "show off" their collections (no matter how paltry they might be or how they might or might not stack up against the "competition").

WHO CARES if someones registry set includes coins that do not make the grade (in someones other than the grading services opinion)? They are graded what they are graded.... if an individual is that wrapped up in this game maybe it is time for them to take a step back and ask themselves what they are playing for.

That said - if someone is selling what they feel to be overgraded coins (obviously overgraded or not) then shame on them (but unfortunately it is ultimately buyer beware), AND if someone is willing to put up the money for overgraded coins JUST so they can move up in the Registry that is their business - WHO CARES!! This is not life and death here.....

Just my two cents worth - besides what do I know... I have a non-fbl Frankie set registered! makepoint.gif

Bill

Good thread Greg. One of my biggest pet peeves is carbon flecks on silver coins, I hate them. As others have said, they are usually the result of improper dipping techniques. I know some people routinely dip all modern proof coins whether they need it or not, which is a mistake IMO as dipping strips any type of natural patina that has formed on the coin and thus makes it more prone to spotting IMO.

Modern proof 70's are also an area I've never really understood, and why people would pay such huge premiums for them as opposed to proof 69's. At those grades, I think the number on the slab is a lot more random interpretation and the mood of the grader on a particular day, rather than clear and fundamental differences in grade. To me, a nice PR69 looks perfect enough, especially if proof 70's come with carbon flecks, dip residue, and fingerprints!

dragon

bartdog,

I thought the whole point of these boards AND the Registries was to give collectors a chance to interact (in a positive way), and also a chance to "show off" their collections (no matter how paltry they might be or how they might or might not stack up against the "competition").

I agree that the point of the boards is to allow collectors to interact, hopefully in a positive way and the point of the registries is to allow collectors to show off their collections as in your words ‘no matter how paltry they might be or how they might or might not stack up against the "competition"

I believe this is why there are no minimum points required before a set can be entered. But the registries also rank sets and act as a showcase for the best sets. Coins are awarded points based on their assigned grade under the theory that a coin with a higher grade is ‘better’ than a coin with a lower grade. Theoretically this should be true, but in the real world ‘it just ain’t so’. There are plenty of highly graded coins out there that are butt ugly! I know I would rather have a coin with a lower grade but nice eye appeal than an ugly one graded higher.

Anyone with enough money can buy almost any set of coins that would rank at or near the top of the registry without too much trouble IF they don’t care whether the coins have the eye appeal to go with their grade. This cannot be done so easily though if you are looking for coins with nice eye appeal that are true to their grade. The registry is supposed to be a showcase for great coins, not who can spend the most money.

Now if someone wants to have ugly or over graded coins in their registry set I certainly don’t care, it’s not my collection or my money being spent. I’ll sleep fine at night. But they should not be hidden. If the registry is supposed to rank the sets how do we really know if one set is better than another if it has no descriptions, no photos or is hidden. Why bother to list a set if you don’t want to show it off? That is want the registry is all about. A safe anonymous place to show off your accomplishment.

John

for me once you get into 68 69 ........70 coins i just do not believe in**************** you cant have a butt ugly coin as if a coin is butt ugly

then for me it is not a 68 or 69

and if a 69 it has to have monster or at the veryleast great!!!!! eye appeal!!!!!!!

ditto with a 68

sincerely michael