• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coins from FUN

8 posts in this topic

I finally received the two coins that I won in Heritage’s FUN auction last week, and got around to imaging them today. I was not too happy about waiting so long for the coins to be sent, but the long wait was soon forgotten once I saw the coins in hand. Both coins turned out to be much nicer than Heritage’s images.

The first coin is a 1935 Arkansas commem graded MS-66 by PCGS. The obverse rims are ringed in gold with thinner rings of lime green and red. The gold then fades to almost white by the time it reaches the center of the coin. The reverse rims are also ringed in gold, but the center of the reverse is a much whiter, silver color than the obverse.

The coin’s luster is excellent and it has a strong cartwheel effect when rotated under a light. As Arkansas commems go, this is a very nice coin. Here it is;

1096980-1935arkansasobv.jpg1096983-1935arkansasrev.jpg

The second coin is another Arkansas. It is a 1939 graded MS-65 by NGC. The coin is white with a nice light gold tint to it. Its luster is outstanding, and its eye appeal is considerably better than most of the other ’39 Arkansas commem’s I have seen. here is a scan of the coin;

1096984-1939arkansasobv.jpg1096987-1939arkansasrev.jpg

Overall, I'd have to say that the long wait was worth it. smile.gif

John

Thanks Hoot. I was hesitant to bid on the coins because of Heritage’s images. I could see that they looked like they could be nice, but I felt it was a bit of a gamble as I was really just guessing as to what I thought they would look like in person.

As it turned out, I'm really happy with these two as my scans are nicer then the Heritage images were, but the coins are ever nicer still in person!

John

thumbsup2.gif

now let me ask you this

if you had to sell some really nice above average eye appealling early commems would you consign your valuable collection to heritage to sell based on their photo taking abilities??

thumbsup2.gif

now let me ask you this

if you had to sell some really nice above average eye appealling early commems would you consign your valuable collection to heritage to sell based on their photo taking abilities??

And what cracks me up is that heritage claims over and over again that their photography is top in the biz. What a load tonofbricks.gif. Even their so-called premier photos are terrible for depicting the actual likeness of a coin. Over the years, I've learned somewhat to "interpret" their photos and rely heavily on their descriptions. For some reason, their catalog photos are much better.

Hoot

thumbsup2.gif

now let me ask you this

And what cracks me up is that heritage claims over and over again that their photography is top in the biz. What a load tonofbricks.gif. Even their so-called premier photos are terrible for depicting the actual likeness of a coin. Over the years, I've learned somewhat to "interpret" their photos and rely heavily on their descriptions. For some reason, their catalog photos are much better.

Hoot

Can't agree with you more Hoot,all of these auction companies claim to have great photography when in reality my grandma could take a better picture! screwy.gif

Those are very nice looking coins.

Heritage's photos are pretty awful. ANR's I think are spectacular, Goldberg's and Superior's less than ANR's but better than Heritage's. But for all of them, esp Goldbergs and Superior, I think the photos are way out of line with what the coins really look like, real time, human eye which is never at a specific distance from a specific kind of light and a certain angle for more than a moment in time. It's all so totally unreal.