• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A circulation find of a different kind...US Currency!!!

15 posts in this topic

always like checking out the circulation find threads as it's always interesting to see whats still floating around out there...... 893whatthe.gif

What I haven't seen a lot of are threads about currecy finds.....and since I just had a recent experience I thought I'd fire up a post to see if anyone else is finding any gems out there.

I was on my way to the Orlando airport on Wednesday and was on a toll road when it happened. I only had $20's with me so I had to go to the Change/Receipt line instad of the exact change. I handed the little old lady my $20 dollar bill and as she put together my $18 dollars change she paused for a moment as she stared at one of the bills she was about to hand me. I heard her say "wow that looks old" as she struggled to make out the details and date on the note. This literally went on for almost a minute which felt like an eternity and I was anxious to see what she had and I was equally hoping she didn't try to switch notes on me. Finally she handed mew the cash and I laid it on the seat next to me and took off. A few miles down the road I decided to see what all the fuss was about and I kept one eye on the road and 1 eye on the stack of bills as I moved each one off the top of the stack looking for the mystery note. When I got the the bottom of the stack I located a Series 1934-D New York Federal Reserve Note in around VG condition. I was quite suprised to see the condition considering it could have conceivably been in and out of circulation for some 72 years. 893applaud-thumb.gif

So while it may not be a rare and valuable note....I was certainly quite pleased with the find none the less.....

1934Dnotefront.jpg

1934Dnoteback.jpg

So....if you have found any interesting currency over the past few months...please post your story and or pictures here.... thumbsup2.gif

Shane, nice find!

Here is a story of an "old dog" getting the best over technology:

I'm working with a long-time friend of mine who owns a gaming center in Ft. Myers. It isn't gambling, per se. I call them pseudo-slots. They have become very popular in Southwest Florida. At our establishment, the customers are entered into the computer database and scan the barcode on their card to place money into their account via a kiosk. The card is then scanned at any one of the 80 machines we have and you can transfer money to the game to play.

An elderly gentleman was having a hard time getting the kiosk to accept his money. I went to help him because many times our older patrons forget the procedure. I tried several times, myself, and the kiosk kept rejecting the $20. I didn't give it any thought and rather than going back to the desk, I just took another $20 from my wallet and exchanged it for the one he had.

When I got home, I thought about the incident and wondered if there was a possibility that the bill was counterfeit. So, I took it from my wallet to examine it. The first thing I usually check is the security strip. When I held it to the light, I found that it had no strip. I thought to myself, "Oh well, I'm out $20." If it was a counterfeit bill, it was awfully good. It was then that I noticed that it was a Series 1934, Phildelphia FRN. I'm really surprised at its condition.......no folds, no tears, no dogears, and there are no stains other than those you would normally find on a bill that has passed through many hands.

I guess the kiosk just refused to accept legal tender that it deemed far beyond its useful life. I'll just give it a good home and let it rest in peace.

Chris

Great stories! I've seen a couple of $1 silver certs in circulation recently. Unfortunately, they were those of others who had received them in change. However, I was excited just to witness their excitement!

Those 1934 notes of Shane and Chris's stories must be a thrill to find smile.gif. Never have I seen one of those!

Hoot

A friend at a bank picked these up for me.

Seven consecutive.

image00022mz.jpg

It's always a smart thing to make friends at your local bank. Right now, I'm waiting for my favorite cashier to let me know when they will be drilling the locks on safety deposit boxes of delinquent accounts. It is a long, drawn-out process, but when they open them I will be able to buy any cash and/or coins at face value.

Chris

Most of the cashiers are too smart to bring me in on deals.

They get all the really cool stuff. smile.gif

I only got the 100's because I had the cash in my pocket to buy them. Wish they had not hit them with the pen. frown.gif

The last old note I got was from a friend's mom, who got a series 1934 $50 and sold it to me for face. I always liked the designs of the old $50 the best.

This Millennium Dollar has circulated, but still in its original Mint Sealed Set… I am looking for maybe a link or a good book on the subject of currency collecting. Any suggestions?

Click on attachment for larger image

2000mil15ld.jpg

1099016-2000mil1.jpg.33d1a0e94d04c22a6241367f97904528.jpg