• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

removal of verdigris from rare copper

2 posts in this topic

The following counterfeit half cent has been in my collection for nearly 30 years.

I have recently found out it is a scarce variety. It is a Vlack 14-84a.

I was very excited when I found out what it is, and have decided to attempt to have it conserved to remove the two or three small green spots on the reverse.

There is a bit of crusty stuff too.

I fully realize that scans are not the ideal medium for viewing coins and I'm not really asking for a review, just is it possible with this type of corrosion?

Thanks.

TDHoward

1093725-TDH_14_84A.jpg.220273f5c47e462ab4bff17816d37a36.jpg

It is particularly difficult to give a recommendation on this coin without seeing it. Copper coins of this vintage often develop green spots such as yours that are best left as they are as they will protect the coin from further deterioration. There are also green spots that are active and should be removed. It is difficult to determine which kind of spots these are from the image.

This coin's contemporary counterfeit status may also come into play when this coin is evaluated for conservation. Contemporary counterfeit coins do not always have the same quality of alloy as do regular issue coins and thus may react differently during the conservation process. This will be taken into consdiration should this coin be evaluated at NCS.

Chris, NCS