• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New coin for my collection. Justin I

3 posts in this topic

These coins are typically crude. Very early coins, some of the first minted by the Byzantine empire. I like the patina, the large flan, and I paid what I would consider a very good bargin price.

Bronze follis, S 62, F, 5th officina, Constantinople mint, 17.988g, 34.6mm, 180o, obverse D N IVSTINVS PP AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, cross rising from diadem; reverse Large M between two stars, cross above, E (5th officina) below, CON in exergue; larg flan;

1089499-JustianISB.jpg

I'll have to wait till i get the coin in hand to make a percise dating, but it is between 518 AD and 527 AD.

1089499-JustianISB.jpg.386dda64237565051f3ffe9c415fdb2d.jpg

Superb!

So, has anyone researched the operations of the Contantinople Mint? It would be interesting to know what their processes were, how long they lasted, how they evolved, etc.

Hoot

I've got some reference material coming in. Lots to learn, and lots of mints. I wish I could of found an example of that coin in better condition, but, like I said, they are all crude, and the price couldn't be beat. I just got in some safe-t-flips today, so I'll finally get a chance to start putting all my follis' in somewhat of a labeled order. I love these flips, beat the heck out of cardboard 2x2's and slabs. The inserts that come with the flips can hold a whole lot of information. I found some macros for the inserts.