• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 P Washington Quarter Graded by UGS as MS-64

10 posts in this topic

I acquired the above coin with the following notations :

"This is a double die obverse # FS-18, with strong spread on liberty, in god we trust,

designers initials and ribbon end".

I was told that this is a very rare coin. Can anyone out there fill me in with more

information or a value ??

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with a UGS grading company. Hopefully somebody else will come along and explain to me what UGS is.

However, in "The Best of the Washington Quarter Doubled Die Varieties" by John A. Wexler and Kevin Flynn list a 1945 25c with a doubled die obverse (DDO) cross-referenced in the CONECA registry as 1-O-I, also cross-referenced in "The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties" by J.T. Stanton and Bill Fivaz as FS-018 and also in Breen's as 4328. This DDO exhibits a strong counter-clockwise (CCW) spread on the motto, date, designer's initials, lower queue and letters of LIBERTY. The book also states overall rarity as: very rare, originally discovered by Delma K. Romines and values as follows: XF - $75; AU - $100; MS60 - $150; MS63 - $200 and MS65 - $250. The book was published in 1999.

Hope this helps ...

UGS is short for Universal Grading Service. Their website is : http://www.universalgrading.com/

This grader started TruGrade and NuGrade service. I have been using him for 2-3 years,

and have found his grading to be very accurate; the pricing excellent, the fact that if he feels if a

coin is not worth grading he issues a credit on future grading requests. I got tired of submitting coins

to the "big boys" of grading and getting the coin returned ungraded, and still paying for the service.

I want to thank you for your time in answering me.

I was also told that there are only 5 of these known, with no higher grade than MS-63.

Do you have any idea of how I can check this ??

I was also told that there are only 5 of these known, with no higher grade than MS-63. Do you have any idea of how I can check this?

Have you checked the UGS pop report? blush.gif

The CPG Guide states a URS-4 (5 - 8 known) and the CONECA Web Site gives a population of 5. Of course the CPG Guide (for quarters) is quite old (third edition printed in 1994) and we are awaiting the new Vol. II to be published. Actually -- we been waiting for quite a while now (I think over 2 years?). I believe Whitman is to publish the new Vol. II??

Thank you very much for your help with this.

It's difficult for me to comprehend that such a rare coin can have such

a relatively low value.

I was hoping to have my grandchildren become thousandaires

because of this coin, but I guess they will have to settle for being

hundredairs. lol Lol

Phil

Where is the best place to find the current versions of the following books, all of which were referenced in this thread? I have looked for several of them, but have not been very successful. Thanks!

Wexler

CONECA registry

"The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties"

Breen's

CPG Guide

I believe you can get your answers at the following web sites. The first is the

coneca web site. The second is the A.N.A "Money Store" where they have three or four

of the books you are looking for. CPG, I believe stands for "CherryPickers' guide,

although I'm not positive about that.

"Good Hunting"

http://conecaonline.org/index.html

http://www.money.org/source/Orders/index.cfm