• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS 'Deep Cameo' Vs. NGC 'Ultra Cameo'

11 posts in this topic

For those of you that have had the opportunity to compare two coins side by side....one being a PCGS graded DC and the other being a NGC UC, what can you tell me about them? How would you compare? Are both grades pretty much the same ranking with a different name? Are we talking apples and oranges?

Post pics if you can - I am interested to see the difference between two coins of identical year and mint, one of each category, side by side. (working on buying something to compliment one of mine but would love to have something to go by in the meantime)

Regarding pricing, which classification would grab the best price on the open market? Assuming the coins themselves were problem free and true to grade, which is worth more?

for pre 1915 proof coinage ONLY

ngc ultra cameo is much more consistant and usually more killer heavy cameo then pcgs

now.....................

can you find killer heavy cameo true to life deep cameo pcgs proof coins?? yes you can but you got to look for them as not all deep cameos pcgs are truly DEEP CAMEO

the ultra cameo ngc designation is usually right on the money and i have yet to see a pre 1915 proof coin designated ultra cameo that was'nt ultra cameo

and i have seen many cameo ngc coins pre 1915 proofs cracked out and get designated deep cameo by pcgs

here is an example of a proof pre 1915 ultra cameo designated coin by ngc that is a monster heavy ultra cameo

and another ngc ultra cameo coin that is all there and shockingly heavy ultra cameo when viewed in hand sight seen

the photo barely does justice to the coin

this coin is only proof cameo ngc and as you can see it is really ultra heavy cameo and would more than likely get the deep cameo at pcgs in my opinion as sight seen it IS ULTRA DEEPLY CAMEOED

devil.gifmonster devil.gif

893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif

I am new to proofs, but I am guesing that the degree of 'cameo' appearance lies in the contrast between the frosted features and the mirrored features. I have a few modern Washington quarters (pre 1965) that fit into this category and are simply stunning. I just scooped up another last night in PF-68 UC - will post pics when I get a chance to take some decent photos.

Michael's attachments:

[images removed by Michael]

You all might think that I'm simply "enabling" Michael by posting his images for him; he will never learn to embed a photo unless we refuse to do it for him. But I can't help it . . . I keep thinking that he'll send me one of his coins as a token of appreciation. grin.gif

You all might think that I'm simply "enabling" Michael by posting his images for him; he will never learn to embed a photo unless we refuse to do it for him. But I can't help it . . . I keep thinking that he'll send me one of his coins as a token of appreciation. grin.gif

Actually I think he gets his jollies by making us post his pictures gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif

i just cant seem to get it with this computer complicated photo posting stuff

confused.gif

i need to be shown how to do it hands on

shy.gif

That's okay, Michael. If you think you've got a long way to go, just consider my predicament..................I'm waiting for them to make a computer that will take an accurate photo and post it for me with just one left click and its done.

Chris

Personally, I have difficulty on that fine edge between CAM and DCAM (or UCAM). I also have a lot of trouble seeing much difference between the two major companies. I do know that ICG is liberal with DCAMs, though, having gone through the crossover bit with their coins.

I guess that for me, I'd see PCGS and NGC about equal with regard to their CAM and UCAM designations. But I'll admit to not having a lot of experience here.

James

for me the dcam or ultra cam has to be monster for me to see it as deep or ultra cameo and there is a difference

but it has to be all there and have the "look" but it is a highly specialized speciality coin