• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE QUESTION "WHY?"

7 posts in this topic

This is an addendum to my tampering thread. Many people asked why someone would bother to tamper with a common date Walker in 65. The answer is that any good scam artist knows that greed is usually what gets you busted. Why do more people counterfeit $20 bills, rather than $100? When they get access to person's checkbook, why do they write $50 or $100 checks rather than 2 or $3,000 checks? It doesn't draw the attention.

The slabbed coin in question was a 1946-D in MS-65. Greysheet Bid for this is $82. Now say that someone has an eighth rate grading service, (Billy-Bob's Coin Grading. BBCG.) or a person has the equipment, slab sealer, and so forth. Wouldn't it be VERY profitable if they could open someone else's slab for a high end 65, slab it as a 66, or 67 in their own slab, or have a looser grading company grade it for them? Not only that, but reseal the other slab with an AU-58 or MS-63 even, and sell that on eBay? There's an awful lot of people buying the slabs and not the coins out there. It wouldn't draw a lot of attention.

I'm not saying that this is going on, but in this day and age, it is certainly possible. Especially, with the newer NGC design. PGCS slabs, the halves are inserted one into the other. It would be virtually impossible to do what I have described, and not have it easily detected.

If nothing else, I believe that NGC should redesign this newer version of their slab.

I think the NGC slab is quite interesting. The plastic is not as hard or brittle as the PCGS slab so pieces won't chip off if it falls to the floor. The white background gives the coin a more aesthetic look. The label is a nice contrast, however, it does not sit well in the grove. The plastic utilized is very difficult to crack and does not shatter when opened or unsealed, whereas the PCGS holder will shatter when opened, possibly scratching the surface of the coin. I rate the NGC holder an 8 and the PCGS holder a 6.

TRUTH

I agree with you about the white insert, it does enhance the coin. Especially if the coin is toned. I just think this new groove that runs all the way around the slab is inviting trouble. The older version with a flush sealed surface, was a better design.

I have a toned 1884-O, NGC MS-64 that I am going to crack out and resubmit because I think it deserves a 65. I am going to experiment to see if I can open and reseal, and will post the results at a later date.

hey james!! i dont think any of us can tell you what you want to here. what i mean is that this is your second try on this subject!!

to me, there are only two choices

1. send it in to NGC.

2. take it to a local dealer(if you trust them) that is an Authorized Dealer with NGC.!!!

I wish you the best in your quest for answers!!

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

oh! i allmost forgot.

i also like the NGC slab over all others.!!!!!!

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I think that if a large number of slabs were being tampered with, someone would notice. If you think the NGC holder has been tampered with, send it to NGC and let them look at it.

As far as cracking out that Morgan to send in, I would just leave it in its holder. Send it in for re-grade! NGC just doesn't have the bias with holders that PCGS does. Also you wont be taking the chance of ruining the coin by removing it from its holder. You also don't take the chance of the coin being downgraded!!IMO.

Msmhappy,

I have accepted the opinion of the people on this forum that the slab hasn't been tampered with. I really appreciate the responses. As I have said, all my NGC slabs are of the older type and I had never seen one of the newer ones.

This thread is in answer to all the people here and on the PCGS Coin Forum that asked why someone might tamper with a common date slab. If someone was set up to do what I posted here in a time-efficient manner, it would be VERY profitable, with a minimum amount of risk. They jump the removed coin into a much higher price range, and sell a lower grade coin at a higher price also. Double dipping and no waste.