• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUGGESTIONS, ANYONE?

22 posts in this topic

Some of you already know that I have been collecting European medals of late, and I need some suggestions for displaying/housing them. The medals range in size from 35mm-80mm, and, for the present, most are mounted in 2" & 2-1/2" holders or 2-1/2" flips. I was hoping that I could find some ideas at FUN. No luck!

I'm not really a big fan of Capital holders, but I may have to use them if I can't find a better alternative. Does anyone have any previous experience in this area? What about Dansco? Littleton? Ideas and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

I have a suggestion. I have seen displays of such medals simply laid out on a velvet cloth over a flat foam backing. There is nothing classier than displaying medals (or coins for that matter) in this manner, but of course, it makes transport a little inconvenient. Typically, the display would be protected by a glass lid of some sort that would facilitate viewing, but keep the coins isolated from pollutants.

I'd love to see an image of your medals displayed in this manner!

James

I have a suggestion. I have seen displays of such medals simply laid out on a velvet cloth over a flat foam backing. There is nothing classier than displaying medals (or coins for that matter) in this manner, but of course, it makes transport a little inconvenient. Typically, the display would be protected by a glass lid of some sort that would facilitate viewing, but keep the coins isolated from pollutants.

I'd love to see an image of your medals displayed in this manner!

James

Thanks, James! I've been kicking around a similar idea, but I, too, thought it might be a little cumbersome. Being that my Mom is an artist who does all of her own framing, I thought I might use a foam core backing with cut-outs for the medals and use a velvet or velour cloth over it. The medals could be wedged into place. The cloth would make a tight fit, but the foam core would have enough "give" so as not to damage the medals. All of the materials she uses for framing are archival quality and acid-free. Even the plexiglas she uses for certains works is pvc-free. Like you say, it would be a little difficult to transport. The other problem is that you wouldn't be able to view both sides without dismantling it.

I'm hoping that I will be able to learn how to properly use the camera that I purchased recently, and then I'll have to figure out how to get the pictures posted, here. Please bear with me. It's all new to me. I'm really anxious to show some of them, especially an 1864 Swiss medal that I bought at FUN. It's copper that has "turned to a rich Hershey's chocolate" and all of high points of the design have toned a beautiful, irridescent blue.

Chris

Chris------Saw the word "foam". Be careful of foam as indeed with heat----it will melt. In a hot car---???? Just thought I would pass the thought along. Capital plastic does do a good job. Thirty years ago they did a wonderful one for me for my CC twenties. Back to the foam----would just scare me to get it close to the medals. But the idea of your mom doing the framing sounds superb. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks, James! I've been kicking around a similar idea, but I, too, thought it might be a little cumbersome. Being that my Mom is an artist who does all of her own framing, I thought I might use a foam core backing with cut-outs for the medals and use a velvet or velour cloth over it. The medals could be wedged into place. The cloth would make a tight fit, but the foam core would have enough "give" so as not to damage the medals. All of the materials she uses for framing are archival quality and acid-free. Even the plexiglas she uses for certains works is pvc-free. Like you say, it would be a little difficult to transport. The other problem is that you wouldn't be able to view both sides without dismantling it.

This is very similar to the idea that I had. You could make several cases that could be mounted on a wall or used as flat displays, and if you angled the foam core, you could have a hinged front so that you could easily access the medals and look at the back sides, etc.

Look forward to seeing them!

Hoot

Whoa pardner! How many of these cases will you need? The sheer volume of your medals would seem to make this impractical with out many display cases, if you were going to keep the cases essentially portable.

Perhaps you could buy a greyhound bus and retrofit it to display your treasures, 27_laughing.gif.

Ed

I use a framed box that has shelves mounted to it and a glass door (lid) that is then hung on the wall. The medals and plaquettes are placed on the shelves and the display is quite attractive. If I get around to it tonight I will take an image and post it.

Here is one that I have hanging on one of our walls. The image was taken at an angle so as to not get glare on the glass. What appears to be fuzz on the top of the mounting is actually accumulated cat hair that I did not see until I took the image. confused.gif

1084019-new-2.jpg

1084019-new-2.jpg.547b0f54b70aab5a3108800df648d19a.jpg

Wow, love that Lincoln et al!

p.s. The hair looked more like bunny fuzz to me. crazy.gif

Send some to Chris and he can make a toupe. grin.gif

Whoa pardner! How many of these cases will you need? The sheer volume of your medals would seem to make this impractical with out many display cases, if you were going to keep the cases essentially portable.

Perhaps you could buy a greyhound bus and retrofit it to display your treasures, 27_laughing.gif.

Ed

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Ed

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Will you be needing the "greyhound squad" to assist you?

I'm packing a full-auto .68 now... devil.gif

Chris------Saw the word "foam". Be careful of foam as indeed with heat----it will melt. In a hot car---???? Just thought I would pass the thought along. Capital plastic does do a good job. Thirty years ago they did a wonderful one for me for my CC twenties. Back to the foam----would just scare me to get it close to the medals. But the idea of your mom doing the framing sounds superb. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, foam core is a backing commonly used in framing. It is somewhat like two outer layers of posterboard with the foam between them. It is fairly rigid and safe to use. We have often transported Mom's artwork in the car and heat doesn't affect it. Also, the medals wouldn't come into direct contact since the cutouts would be lined with the material.

I may just end up having Capital make the holders, and have Mom make two-way frames for them. At least with the Capital, I could have them title each medal. For example, one idea I have is to place all of the "Marianne's" in one display and have each medal identified by date (whenever possible) and designer.

Chris

Here is one that I have hanging on one of our walls. The image was taken at an angle so as to not get glare on the glass. What appears to be fuzz on the top of the mounting is actually accumulated cat hair that I did not see until I took the image. confused.gif

1084019-new-2.jpg

Nice looking medals and plaquettes, Tom. Is there a theme to them? What do the round ones commemorate?

Chris

Chris,

An idea to display both sides is to house them in Kointain capsules, somehow incorporate a swiwel on top and bottom and place them in a hardwood board, framed and finished with round slots drilled out. That way, the coin could be rotated when desired. However, I don't know if the brand has all of the sizes required.

Wow, love that Lincoln et al!

Send some to Chris and he can make a toupe. grin.gif

Sooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee! Hey pig, pig, pig, pig! Judging from your picture, I think you need it more than me. frustrated.gif

No, not frustrated, just EZ pulling his hair out.

Chris

Does the board member "Solid" Make some display cases? I seem to remember his being nice....

I'm afraid I don't know him. He may be before my time.

Chris

How about we make you a new pair of pink bunny slippers from it (we know you wear them)poke2.gif

Chris-----I think that you have got it----Capital and then your mom. And that also has the benefit of a 'good' memory for years to come. Nothing like a family working together and then looking at the completed work. However, I do like the way that Tom B has displayed his at home----allows for a look see but not touching. Good luck with the project. Bob [supertooth]