• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One reason to hate slabs...

29 posts in this topic

...is simply that they impede your view of a great coin. I know, we've all thought that very thing, but here's a great illustration:

1082130-1839N-8PetHd1cAU58BNNGC106-16.JPG

Gee whiz yeahok.gif, which one do ya think was taken through the plastic? makepoint.gif

I love cracking slabs. insane.gif

Hoot

1082130-1839N-8PetHd1cAU58BNNGC106-16.JPG.60a820a7e14f85b401c9062e35c91dca.JPG

oh my

my my my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my

my my my............................

893whatthe.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gif

hail.gif

shy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gif

Hoot----Wonder how many coins have not sold because of scratches on the slabs?? Like looking at a wholly different coin. Another reason to hate questionable pictures too. The coin cannot help that the slab has been messed with----pardon the comic relief. Bob [supertooth]

Hoot, great demonstration you have there. You ought to put together an article sometime on the reasons not to slab coins and submit it to some publications. Images like that and a good article would be a "must read" and "must see".

Beautiful coin, Hoot. Is it a 65 or 66 brown??

If you look at the highest hair curls, you can see some discoloration, so the coin is probably a high grade AU. However, that doesn't mean it's not slabbed as mint state. wink.gif

Hoot- that was one screwed piece of plastic you had over that coin. insane.gif

Great example all though of how a slab can deny you a decent photo of your coin, much less the ability to look at it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Another reason to hate questionable pictures too.

Wait Bob, don’t be hatin. acclaim.gif

If you are on the buying side of a coin deal, a poorly imaged coin can work to your advantage. It’s not a bad thing, it’s an opportunity. thumbsup2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Some of my best looking coins have come from auctions and at dealer websites where little interest was shown in a coin due to dark, blurry, hazy or just plain bad imaging.

No pictures ever really show a coin as well as having it in your hand anyways, you never know what you got coming until its shows up.

Yes Paul B----you are absolutely correct. I,too, have benefited from some questionable pictures---especially on Ebay. But, like most of us, I hate to get a nasty coin [even in a top TPG slab] simply because of bad pictures. The whole thing sure can keep you on your toes. Bob [supertooth]

One reason to hate slabs...

Only one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, it is pretty tough to get the right photo when the damn slab looks like it's been through a meat grinder. I just HATE that....

jom

Beautiful coin, Hoot. Is it a 65 or 66 brown??

If you look at the highest hair curls, you can see some discoloration, so the coin is probably a high grade AU. However, that doesn't mean it's not slabbed as mint state. wink.gif

Nice call Greg! thumbsup2.gif And thank you for the nice remarks Victor! smile.gif This coin was in an AU58 (NGC) slab and actually grades AU55 EAC. (The disparity is often greater than that.) It's loverly. angel.gif

Anyhow, I've had it for a while and just couldn't stand any longer not being able to see it, so makepoint.gif It's better that way with me. grin.gif

Hoot

Hoot, great demonstration you have there. You ought to put together an article sometime on the reasons not to slab coins and submit it to some publications. Images like that and a good article would be a "must read" and "must see".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll keep you posted.

Hoot

oh my

my my my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my my

my my my my my my my my

my my my............................

893whatthe.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gif

hail.gif

shy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gifshy.gif

Ditto, Michael, you have such a way with words! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Chris

I agree wholeheartedly. It gets at the question of "collector" versus "coin buyer".

A collector who is actually buying the coin for a collection isn't going to care one bit about the slab. A "coin buyer" who's buying it just for the sake of buying it, with that secret hope that he'll make some bucks on it later obviously cares mostly about the slab.

For me, there are coins that belong in slabs, and coins that should never be slabbed. Your coin is one that should never be slabbed.

And yes, it looks MUCH better outside it's coffin!

But we all know that gold (for example) is better off certified, and strangely enough, gold coins actually image decently in the slab.

James

• Administrator

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of wipe that fills in plastic scratches? I know I read it here somewhere...

This stuff was designed for automobiles with plastic headlamps…. Works perfect on plastic slabs and there is also a second (comes in a separate container)part which you don’t have to use and it is a plastic polish. I was going to post this later today because I had seen this question before.

And save the toothpaste for your tooth.

1082898-plasticcleaner001smallweb2.jpg.d0387a5dd3fd372fe0396d15dc47302f.jpg

• Administrator

Yeah, this kind of stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KK...&n=15684181

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00079L...ce&n=228013

I've never seen it tried so I can't swear that this is the brand that others have tried and liked. confused-smiley-013.gif

On your teeth! Good god man, please see a dentist immediately.

Absolutely, I never go a day...uh...wait....what teeth? 893whatthe.gif

jom

This plastic cleaner is a mild compound and as you apply it begins to dry to a powder. Sometimes you may experience streaking in which case repeat application process. A small amount of water on a fresh soft clean rag can sometimes help eliminate the streaking. You should be able to clean the plastic without any trace of residue. Stay clear of any labels, the compound can remove the surface of the labels. If you want to go for the ultimate cleaning, follow up with the plastic polish. Same rule, stay clear of any labels you don't want damaged. WD 40 works good for removing glue!