• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC grading of so-called dollars and early coppers

10 posts in this topic

I've got two ANACS graded coins that I'm considering crossing to NGC. One is an ANACS MS66 Kansas Statehood Centennial so-called dollar, and the other is an ANACS F15 1795 large cent (nice for the grade). In your experience, do ANACS and NGC have similar standards when it come to grading these types of coins?

Thanks,

Dan

Your ANACS Large cent should cross (NGC is no tougher on these in problem free mid grades than ANACS is) but I am unaware NGC grades so-called dollars.

Do they?

NGC will grade any socalled dollar listed in Hilbler-Kappen book. They started this service just before Long Beach show. I think they have only one price tier for this service. I saw some socalled dollars graded at the show. The only problem is a grading scale and a pricing scale??????? Is an MS66 Lewis and Clark token worth more that a MS64? And how do you tell the difference? 893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

Hello, Braddick and Truth --

I emailed NGC, and they do indeed grade so-called dollars. I bought my MS66 Kansas for around $50. I'm not aware of any price guides or population guides for these pieces. I guess I bought it because it's different...

Anyway, those ANACS holders are too small. They don't fit in well with the rest of my collection!

Dan

Dan, That's good news. I would think the NGC holder is more suitable for the larger sized So-Called dollars than ANACS and the white background would show off the MintState surfaces well.

I'd go for the cross but be willing to have NGC also cross it at MS65 (just in case, and as TRUTH pointed out- the price break is probably neglible, if at all, although I wouldn't settle for MS64. -Better to keep it in ANACS 66 holder then, IMHO).

So-Called Dollars are exposition, commemorative, and monetary medals that are dollar sized. Here is the Arkansas P.P.I.E. sold to raise funds for the 1915 expo. ark403o.jpgark403r.jpg

Here is the Pony Express 1860 to 1960 Centennial. This Medal is in silver and struck by the U.S. Mint. Dsc01986.jpgDsc01985.jpg