• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todays NEWP - a pretty nice Peace toner.

10 posts in this topic

Today was a day for surprises. Not only did I find a nice coin (which is pretty unusual for the local show), but a longtime friend of mine that I didn't know collected was the seller. Funny, I guess coins are not something that ever came up in conversation. He had a table, and is a VAM guy, with many albums of quality stuff. He's collected since the 60's, and it was a fun chat. I'm sure we'll visit more. The coin is a common 25 Peace dollar, but it is absolutely irridescent in hand. I got home too late to get a natural sunlight pic, but the images are very close. Seems the Peace dollars just don't tone like the Morgans, so I was quite surprised. The coin looks like a solid 64, with a few minor hits. All in all, today was lots of fun. Image of the coin

Very nice coin!! I had a "friend" like that too. Took 4 years or so for us both to figure out we had a common interest in coins.

nice coin!!! I personally try to bring up coins and collecting as often as i can!!!!!!! Its truly amazing how many people are unaware of our hobby!!!!!

I display (on my desk at work) something different every week!

whether its a flying eagle cent, a proof set, its something new for my coworkers and my customers to see. Currently I am displaying the 2003 proof silver eagle!!

next week? who knows? but i allways try to bring someone new into our hobby!!

I personally try to expose as many as i can to numismatics. Its a wonderful and very fullfilling hobby. There is nothing more exciting than receiving a package at work or at home, and opening it up, all to discover something so beautiful and detailed, and its MINE!!! Its now part of MY collection!!! And the most important part of all is TO SHARE IT WITH OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

dont forget!! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they were made specificly for collecting!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm not crazy about the reverse but the obverse surely compensates for that!!

very nice.

Very nice looking coin! It appears to have a healthy patina on it, seems well struck and any marks on it are well hidden. Depending on what it looks like in person, this could be a real score! smile.gif

I think many people won't like the toning, especially the reverse. But, your coins screams originality and attractiveness to me.

Thanks for showing it to us, Don!

EVP

Thanks all. EVP, I agree with your assesment and doubt this one will please everyone, but I like it alot.

I do have a followup question that perhaps someone on these boards could answer. As I researched the toning on this coin, I came across several examples of the 25 with very similar patterns. Many of them were untoned, but they exhibited what looks like a rinse in exactly the same pattern as the toning on this coin. This coin on Teletrade tonight has the same directional bands from left to right at about a 10 degree declination, and the same right to left declination on the reverse. Could this be part of the finishing process, or perhaps were the strips of coin metal rinsed prior to the planchet being punched?

Don,

I have seen a good number of coins with the same type of translucent white stains, most were Peace dollars or Washington quarters. When I asked about this years ago, I was told that when the planchets were being prepared they were washed in a chemical (I don't remember what) and then rinsed. If this residue was not removed completely during the rinse it would dry on the coin and cause these stains.

I don't know for sure, but it sounded like a good explanation to me.

John

I don't usually like Peace dollars with toning, but this one is original and I think it's very attractive. More than any other issue, the 1925 Philadelpia version is toned frequently, but usually it's covered with an even light gold tint.