• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picked up this NGC 1974S PF69UC Ike in GSA Holder

18 posts in this topic

The coin looks attractive and has that prototypical phlegmy toning that these are well known for. As to the price, I believe there is very little downside and wouldn't think twice about it.

Thank you Michael.....would you have any reservations about cracking it out? What I mean to say is that I am putting together a toned IKE Dansco album, and am wondering if maybe I should keep this in its holder and find a different example to fill the hole.

Is there any downside to breaking this slab?

I just wanted to make sure that I didnt stumble upon a "real good " deal and that cracking the coin out wouldnt cost me more than I paid, which is what I am willing to give up. Ill be honest, Ihavent done my homework on this series, and am just looking for affordable coins with good eye appeal. But i dont want to crack it out if it worth or possibly could be worth significantly more than what I paid.

I just wanted to make sure that I didnt stumble upon a "real good " deal and that cracking the coin out wouldnt cost me more than I paid, which is what I am willing to give up. Ill be honest, Ihavent done my homework on this series, and am just looking for affordable coins with good eye appeal. But i dont want to crack it out if it worth or possibly could be worth significantly more than what I paid.

Well a NGC PR-69UCam in a GSA holder will be worth more than on of equal grade in an NGC holder. I'd have to see it in person but I'd be more than willing to pay $50 for this coin as it is. Raw? Maybe $12...

Hayden

See this is one of the times when I am not so sure I should crack it. If this series ever takes off, which I believe it will, this coin may well be worth keeping in its plastic. I guess Ill have to see what it looks like in hand. What does an NGCPF69UC in NGC holder go for these days?

See this is one of the times when I am not so sure I should crack it. If this series ever takes off, which I believe it will, this coin may well be worth keeping in its plastic. I guess Ill have to see what it looks like in hand. What does an NGCPF69UC in NGC holder go for these days?

I'd say about $25 for a white GSA...

Ummmm....

Aren't these the holders the coin was issued from the mint in? They don't really have anything to do with the GSA, other than they look similar to the GSA holders.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe the GSA sold some old-time bags of 1974 proof Ikes they found sitting in the vaults for 75+ years. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ummmm....

Aren't these the holders the coin was issued from the mint in? They don't really have anything to do with the GSA, other than they look similar to the GSA holders.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe the GSA sold some old-time bags of 1974 proof Ikes they found sitting in the vaults for 75+ years. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are correct. These Brown Box Ikes came straight from the mint. Given another 75 years of work, most will probably end up very nice toners. All of mine are off to a "great start" after just 30 years. smirk.gifthumbsup2.gif

1084697-EISEN_1973_prf.JPG