• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about these coins?

17 posts in this topic

Hi, I have 5 somewhat decent coins that I have had sitting around for a few months that I want to sell. I was thinking of maybe sending a few to NGC, but im not sure if the costs would outweight the gains. What grade do you think these coins will receive, and how much do you think they would sell for on ebay (if slabbed by NGC and got the grade you though it would receive)? Please note that the pictures are scans (to show detail) so the coins look a little different in real life. Also, the pictures may be colored strangely, this is due to some light semi-irridescent toning on a few of the coins. The coins are as follows:

1937 Buffalo Nickel

1947-D Washington Quarter

1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

1922 Peace Dollar

1879-S Morgan Dollar (NOT the reverse of 1878-S type)

I will attach the pictures to the replies below.

PS: What do you think of sending these to other grading companies (ie:PCGS, ANACS, ICG)?

In truth, from the scans only, I wouldn't send any of them in. If they have much more life, freshness and flash in person then perhaps the WLH. Otherwise, I don't think you will get any value for what you spend.

The nickel, quarter, and half, look AU to me. I would grade the two Dollars MS63. The dollars just don't seem to have the lustre of a higher grade. IMO, I wouldn't send any of them in for grading. A couple of the coins might even get BB'd for cleaning.

I think the Peace dollar looks nice, and having worked with scans a lot, I know a dog when I see it. IF the luster is vibrant and this hasn't been played with, I think the Peace is your best bet. The nickel is probably worth $2, that's a no-go.

Of course, this is all "IMHO".

893offtopic1.gif >>>> Those are nice 2x2's! No cardboard dust or chads. (being from Florida, I'm intimately familiar with chads) grin.gif

i agree with most of you. My opinion though is that the peace is the worst, things just dont look the same in scans.

PS: 1964_XF40_dime, you should check out www.jpscorner.com for your 2x2's. I get a lot of my basic coin supplies there as their products are always decently cheap and of very high qualitly.

if you really had to send one in, i would send the morgan!

as far as price on e-bay? ahhh, welll, i dont know!!

and,, you are correct about the dealers. they are the only ones who can buy a $10 dollar coin for $2 and sell it for $30.

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!1 grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

carterh

I also think the quarter is AU...if you look at the high points on the hair you'll see some "grayish" color that hilites the tops of the curls. That is a clue that there has been some friction, or rub, or just plain wear.

and I have to agree withTomB no life to the coin.

IMO I wouldn't send the coin in for grading.

Rob