• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The definitive set of IHC's and FE's varieties up for sale at Baltimore

6 posts in this topic

At this past FUN show, I had the pleasure of being introduced to Larry Steve by Shylock. Larry had set up his cases of varieties next to Rick Snow. His collection is absolutely astounding. From the clashed die FE's to the IHC varieties, he perhaps has the finest collection ever assembled. He had coins in NGC,PCGS, and ANACS holders. Larry struck me as a true collector. I have to admit I was in awe of his collection. I know I spent at least two hours listening to him talk about the varieties. He is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. American Numismatic Rarities, LLC. an offshoot of B&M is conductiong the sale. I urge any of you attending the show to spend some time examining these coins.

I doubt if a finer set will ever be assembled.

Cool! Is this the Baltimore ANA or the Baltimore show in the fall? In either case, I will be there.

All those major IH varieties displayed in one booth at FUN was awesome. Having Larry Steve there to explain them to you made it an education for anyone who sat down. He's a walking encyclopedia about 19th century minting and all its quirks, and co-authored The FINDERS Report attribution guide.

To give you a small taste of his coins, a collector who now owns one of them supplied this image to me. The 1897 "1-in-neck" is a better known misplaced date but this one's pretty dramatic as well, and much rarer.

1883 S-1 ("1-in-bust") PCGS 66RB.

1883s1ms66bncloseup4.jpg

Thanks for the information on his book Paul. Larry is so modest he didn't mention he was an author. Which camera did you use to get that photo?