• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan toner of the month...

14 posts in this topic

Nice color........It seems that the TPG's are a little more forgiving on Morgans than many other denominations. The cheek and fields on the obverse seem awfully chattery for an MS-64 grade. If you submitted an Indian Head Cent with that much cheek chatter and field chatter, you would be lucky to get a 61.

Jason

Another recent purchase:

...and another great piece. You must be creating quite the impressive toned collection, Hayden. thumbsup2.gif Sig set?

Hoot

Another recent purchase:

...and another great piece. You must be creating quite the impressive toned collection, Hayden. thumbsup2.gif Sig set?

Hoot

Nah, it will be on eBay in 10 minutes.

Chris

Another recent purchase:

Hoot

Nah, it will be on eBay in 10 minutes.

Chris

It's probably there allready... if not 5 minutes tops

Looks like a typical lower end 64 and you have to grade each series a little differently......I haven't heard of bags full of IHC directly from the mint sitting in bank vaults for decades??? Plus keep in mind the weight of these coins and how soft silver is......if IHC were to jumble around in a bag I think it would take a heck of a shake to do any real damage.

Just my two cents...... thumbsup2.gif

Looks like a typical lower end 64 and you have to grade each series a little differently......I haven't heard of bags full of IHC directly from the mint sitting in bank vaults for decades??? Plus keep in mind the weight of these coins and how soft silver is......if IHC were to jumble around in a bag I think it would take a heck of a shake to do any real damage.

Just my two cents...... thumbsup2.gif

This sounds like some sort of affirmative action program for Morgan dollars. Since they are a majority instead of a minority I don't think they deserve this special consideration. Sure, they had a bit of a tough life in their early years, spent some time in a bad neighborhood, did some time locked up and didn't get all the attention that some of the smaller coins received. But they have overcome these disadvantages and become a major force in the market. We need to start treating them equally now and let them stand on their own. It will help their self esteme and they can say they made the grade because they deserved the grade, not because of some arbitrary quota.

I agree with RGT. Unfortunately at this point it's too late. If they would've been graded using the same standards as other coins, it would've made an MS-65 Morgan on par with the rarity of other coins from that era.

Dammit, that looks great. Your photo techniques are enviable. I have a handful of nicely toned coins that I would like to share with the group, but for the life of me, I can't take good pics.

Forget the Morgans lets go after the big fish, join the TCPA??

Toned Coin Protection Agency

Mission Statement:

Our Mission is the Protection and Preservation of Toned coins in there natural environments (Mint Bags, Wayte Raymond Albums, Mint Rolls/Sets).

Additional member responsibilities include:

1. Providing appropriate coin shelter (Plastic Slabs)

2. Comittment to bathing ugly ducklings

3. Provide a sense of well being via a cool, dry, and dark safety deposit box

4. Screen potential buyers to insure good homes

5. Protection from sharp staples

6. No make-up or other color enhancements allowed

7. Instill a sense of confidence through repeated glamour shot imaging

8. Insure fair an equal treatment of all toners (Obverse & Reverse)

9. Provide a home for the unloved and unwanted huddled masses of toned coins throughout the land regardless of strike, surface preservation, and luster

10. Provide oxidation enrichment seminars to educate the public and gain needed exposure to the plight of misaligned toned coins everywhere.

thumbsup2.gif

From eBay auction description:

"This coin offered here today, despite encapsulation, does seem to me to exhibit some odd characteristics. We have determined that this coin has indeed been artificially toned using the baking technique, but with a new and clever twist: this half dollar was baked in a Betty Crocker angel food cake. In fact, our tests have shown that you can actually control the specific color a coin will acquire based on what kind of flavoring you put into the cake mix prior to baking. Almond flavoring produces honey-tan colors, peppermint flavor creates stunning shades of emerald green, and plain old vanilla produces the greyish toning so popular with walnuts and bust half nuts. Be careful to use pure vanilla flavoring, because artificial vanilla produces color which seems, well, artifcial. Also, whip up the egg whites before adding the coin, or you may damage your mixing blade, not to mention the unwanted abrasions that might appear on the coin. Do you like target toning? Add a twist of lemon just before putting the cake in the oven. Wood toning is more your style? Add a teaspoon of nutmeg and a dash of oregano to achieve a stunning woodgrained pattern. And if warm bluish highlights are what you desire, a sprinkle of cinnamon will do the trick. We suggest that before working over your really nice coins, you should experiment with cheap stuff, such as Roosevelt dimes or Kennedy halves. These experiments are best carried out around the holidays, or just before a PTA meeting (remember to remove coins before serving the cake)"

Courtesy of James_EarlyUS