• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The purpose of the collectors' journals - what's the best use?

24 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I just put up a CJ entry on the main site to discuss this topic, and I'm making this thread for people to respond to it.

• Administrator

No. Anyone who signs up for a CS account can use it. As long as it's collector oriented, there's no reason it has to be registry specific.

I think that finding an individual collector's journal is cumbersome, if not difficult. I don't want to have to fish through the registries to find somebody's journal. (And if I don't understand an easier way, then it isn't evident.) Why not have a tab for collector's journals? In that tab, a person could have a place to search for a user name and/or key words, could find a link to a complete list of users who actually have journal entries, and could find a list with, say, the last 20 users who made journal entries. The tab might be here:

1078104-Journalview.jpg

This is not something that I currently make use of, but might be more tempted to read (at least) if features were more readily available.

Hoot

1078104-Journalview.jpg.76f0e577dfa6667ac0d6bded04ba00a8.jpg

• Administrator

Hi Hoot!

Here are some ways to get to CJs.

1. On the left hand side of the site pages you can find the last 3 journal entries, and a link to a "more journals" page which show you a much longer list of recent entries.

You can also find the "public name search" function on the left just under the login area to allow people to search for any particular individual in the system and go to their home page, which will contain their recent journal entries:

1078216-cjbox.jpg

1078216-cjbox.jpg.0d0fc0aaa9c04e4e47d039786a47323d.jpg

• Administrator

2. You can find the long list of recent entries under the "more journals" link in that left hand area. From here, you can read any particular article by clicking on it, or you can click on a user's name, go to their home page and view recent articles by that particular person.

1078233-recentcj.jpg

1078233-recentcj.jpg.f113c544f6c47b8c5b2c8080f1c36efe.jpg

• Administrator

3. When you log into the system, you are redirected to your own home page. On that home page are two columns of journal entries. Yours and everyone else's:

1078255-cjhome.jpg

1078255-cjhome.jpg.ec52c922671f2a5b3579a613771a2ff8.jpg

• Administrator
I think that finding an individual collector's journal is cumbersome, if not difficult. I don't want to have to fish through the registries to find somebody's journal. (And if I don't understand an easier way, then it isn't evident.) Why not have a tab for collector's journals? In that tab, a person could have a place to search for a user name and/or key words, could find a link to a complete list of users who actually have journal entries, and could find a list with, say, the last 20 users who made journal entries. The tab might be here:

1078104-Journalview.jpg

This is not something that I currently make use of, but might be more tempted to read (at least) if features were more readily available.

Hoot

By the way, my replies werern't meant to side step your feedback. Maybe it would be worth it to make it a major menu item. At the time we launched it I wasn't sure if it would should up to be an interesting but minor feature or would actually be worthy of a main menu item. What do you think?

Okay, so I'm as dense as lead. I'll accept that. yeahok.gif Still, a link to Journals alongside the other tabs at the top might help. I'd also like a link to a list of names of all people who have a journal entry. Perhaps there could be categories of journal entries that a person could check off as they made their journal entries so that their latest and greatest would show up as an entry in a list of categories... but I realize that could get out of hand in a big hurry.

On a personal note, online journaling is a new and relatively odd concept to me. I've wondered why a person wouldn't just come here and make a post on the chat boards for any old thought (regarding coins, comics, collectibles) that crossed their weary mind? I must be missing something about this notion and I'd like for someone to set me straight. Arch?

Hoot

• Administrator
Okay, so I'm as dense as lead. I'll accept that. yeahok.gif Still, a link to Journals alongside the other tabs at the top might help. I'd also like a link to a list of names of all people who have a journal entry. Perhaps there could be categories of journal entries that a person could check off as they made their journal entries so that their latest and greatest would show up as an entry in a list of categories... but I realize that could get out of hand in a big hurry.

On a personal note, online journaling is a new and relatively odd concept to me. I've wondered why a person wouldn't just come here and make a post on the chat boards for any old thought (regarding coins, comics, collectibles) that crossed their weary mind? I must be missing something about this notion and I'd like for someone to set me straight. Arch?

Hoot

Hi Hoot,

We were thinking about categorizing journal entries as well, but haven't gotten around to it. Regarding the difference between a chat board and a journal entry, there are a couple of key distinguishing traits:

1. Continuity - The subjects you choose to post about retain their place in that space. There's no "falling off the front page" or getting lost in the shuffle.

2. You-centric - it's all you all the time. It's you making a point, following up with more thoughts, etc.. Like the difference between a radio show with a host, and a big party with lots of conversations. Sometimes its good to hear the clear central voice of an authority on a topic rather than have that authority's comments lost in a shuffle of many other voices.

Basically it just has a greater sense of identity, continuity, longetivity, focus, etc..

Basically it just has a greater sense of identity, continuity, longetivity, focus, etc..

I get it. makepoint.gif I also appreciate your clarity on the subject, Arch.

Can a person indefinitely edit any single journal entry? That would seem to be an attractive feature.

Hoot

• Administrator

I get it. makepoint.gif I also appreciate your clarity on the subject, Arch.

Can a person indefinitely edit any single journal entry? That would seem to be an attractive feature.

Hoot

Yep, they can. Ultimately, I'd like to integrate the ability to have a thread started on the boads for discussion of any given CJ entry, but be able to post to it from the CJ entry by hitting reply. Thus you get a kind of person-centric directed conversation while developing the back and forth discussion of the topic elsewhere. Best of both worlds, I hope.

I don't use the journal option and don't read the journals of others, either. I come here and to PCGS to read about coins. The concept of an independent journal area is foreign to me. Also, I find the NGC Registry more than a little counter-intuitive. It is quite difficult for me to keep straight how to add or delete coins, and the editing is not always obvious. These reasons also keep me away from visiting the Registry unless I want to update a coin. Lastly, I really dislike that the journal titles of others appear on my homepage...I do not want to read these articles and do not want them to appear with "my stuff". It is quite annoying.

Hoot, give yourself some credit, lead has nothing on you! grin.gif

Hoot, give yourself some credit, lead has nothing on you! grin.gif

acclaim.gif Osmium? acclaim.gif

I'd also agree that I don't want journal titles appearing on my "home" page. I simply want easy and obvious access to the journals if I want to make a visit.

Hoot

I'd also agree that I don't want journal titles appearing on my "home" page.

I feel the same way. I never did like having these journals prominently displayed on my home page. It reminds me of spam. mad.gif

If I want to read someone's journal, I would much perfer to click on a link to where they are listed.

John

It seems like the boards and the Journal people are two completely different kid of people.

I wish you had received more feedback out here on the subject. I am curious. What kind of feedback did you get?

Ron day

• Administrator
It seems like the boards and the Journal people are two completely different kid of people.

I wish you had received more feedback out here on the subject. I am curious. What kind of feedback did you get?

Ron day

I got a pretty even split overall of "please make an exception for tradingslabs" and "I don't want to see that stuff, it goes somewhere else." No one advocated a free hand to promote anything of choice.

I dislike the use of journals for promotion or marketing of any kind. I view Collectors Society journals as essentially public diaries, similar to blogs. No one keeps a diary in order to promote a product or service to someone else. They keep it to record thoughts, ideas, emotions, and experiences. That's what I want from reading someone's online journal - an insight into them or a topic that interests them, not a pitch of any sort.

Beijim

I feel that too many of the postings on the CJ are subjects that should be posted on the Collector Boards instead. I do enjoy reading many of the postings about other collector's experiences.

They may not use a journal to promote there business or website, but they would write such things as:

The website has been up for only 7 days and we already have over 40 registered users. They have added 50 postings and it looks like things are getting very interesting. People are leaving messages about all kinds of interesting subjects. I cannot wait to see what happens in the comming weeks.

Or do you only write about how great a deal you got on your last coin? wink.gif

This is indeed a good start for discussing the use of the Collectors Journal. And notice it is being done separate from our Home Page. Sort of like the back room, or a company meeting, everyone knows its here that would like to participate, yet those who would rather simply check out the basic coin related topics and move on can do so. And honestly I think there is a different atmosphere in the CJ now because of it. (It was when I left) Why do you think people put the close line in the back yard? Think about it. I think Hoot had a good idea about the Journal on and off function. I personally like reading the Journals however I don’t care for the marketing, or advertising. I honestly think most people while on the home page are not looking to purchase or trade or hear about our web hosts making a mistake but are simply interested in seeing what collectors are up too, there experiences, etc. I can’t help but wonder about someone’s motives when I see any of these items addressed in the CJ. There are other avenues to address these issues. Maybe under the Journal On or OFF button Arch can install a few other links (like a menu on a web page) that would carry one directly to what ever issues they might want to check in on. This is my opinion and not my intention to criticize anyone.