• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd PCGS holder

28 posts in this topic

So I was perusing the eBay listings today, and came across this coin:

1908-S PCGS AU-55

The coin is a key date, and I looked up the cert # on PCGS's site and is checked out. I am just concerned since this person has weak feedback, little coin sales experience, an odd slab and a key date saint. Am I just being paranoid here?

It's a PCGS Regency holder that they offered as a premium service until 1995. For $35 extra dollars, or thereabouts, you could have the coin placed in one of these and then have a custom title on the coin. You'll notice that this one says "JE Saxton Collection" and this was requested by the submitter, it is not a PCGS pedigree. They were not very popular but still surface rather frequently. I know someone who has a wildly toned Morgan in one and he requested "Real Toning" to be put on the holder.

Jeff,

I’ve seen photos of that holder in the past, though I have never seen one in person. I don’t remember the whole story, but I believe it was only used for a very short time years ago. One of the guys who collect slabs might be able to give some more info.

John

Tom has it right.

Rick Montgomery said it was 92-95. smile.gif

That's about right but it seemed to me they started using them (I remember the promo) sometime in 1993 at the earliest....I wasn't just starting out in 92 and don't remember seem any ads for it until a good time later.

jom

Considering the value of the coin, I'm wondering why he wouldn't offer registered rather than priority mail.

Chris 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually registered in and of itself is not a class of mail. Registering mail is a service to be added onto first class or priority mail. Registered mail is actually treated as insuring a package or certified mail is. Added on to the base.

These are highly collectible holders. The coin will go for big money.

James

The coin will go for big money BECAUSE IT IS A KEY DATE SAINT!!!! If some damn fool wants to pay $3K for this just because of the holder, then I'd be glad to take the coin off their hands! Christo_pull_hair.gif I emailed the seller, no response, but I'd be happy to take this one if I was more secure in this seller (no coin experience, low feedback with a neg) and if the photos of the actual coin were better. At first glance, from what I can see of this coin, it seems like a solid AU coin, which would fit nicely in my set (regardless of the holder!).

Don't you hate it when you find a coin on eBay that is a fairly rare date and the seller is a dolt? I remember there was (what seemed to me) a nice 11-D half eagle. The coin was PCGS 58 and the picture "seemed" ok but the seller was adamant that there was no return. I even offered to drive down to San Diego to take a look. He said that wasn't necessary but then got irriated that I'd ask for a return policy....naturally he wanted a premium for it but no return. Right... yeahok.gif

On this Saint I'd ask for a better picture as it seems this one is set to a high contrast to possibly make it look better....what do you think?

jom

jom,

I e-mailed him and asked for some better photos of the coin itself, also about escrow, but no response yet. This coin was graded over 10 years ago at least, and I know that there were some nice AU coins in PCGS holders from that period, usually with nice luster and a slight rub on the leg, which I am only guessing this one is since I can't tell from the photos. If I saw the coin was nice for the grade, and the seller wasn't such a big risk, I might just hit the BIN. But at this point it's too risky for that kind of money!

I would wary of someone selling something like that and whose last two purchases

were for sneakers and a school book smile.gif

- Feedback not high enough for the BIN either - I agree -

If I saw the coin was nice for the grade, and the seller wasn't such a big risk, I might just hit the BIN. But at this point it's too risky for that kind of money!

I got lucky once with that. I had actually seen a 14-S half eagle at an auction lot viewing which I didn't win but then it amazingly ended up on eBay almost a year later (same serial number). I used the BIN almost immediately without really checking the seller out...it was one of those "had to have it" kind of things and it was roughly in the price range of this Saint too. 893whatthe.gif

jom

I'm paranoid. I would never bid this kind of money on a listing from someone with a feedback rating of 12, even if that person had 100% feedback. I like to see an established track record before I engage. Same with surgery.

Beijim

I'm paranoid. I would never bid this kind of money on a listing from someone with a feedback rating of 12, even if that person had 100% feedback. I like to see an established track record before I engage. Same with surgery.

Beijim

I hate to admit it, but I learned the hard way to NEVER bid more than about $1000 on ANYTHING from ANYBODY on eBay. I dumped 8 grand on a "purchase" from a power seller with over 2,000 feedbacks (supposedly). Many were on deals just like the one I got into! I then dumped another grand on a crooked lawyer trying to recoup my loss, after getting no where with eBay, the cops, the feds, or USPS. All I got was a letter from his state saying he had declared bankruptcy - case closed !! flamed.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

((( The coin will go for big money BECAUSE IT IS A KEY DATE SAINT!!!! If some damn fool wants to pay $3K for this just because of the holder, then I'd be glad to take the coin off their hands! )))

I believe these old regency holders can only be found with expensive coins in them. I'm just saying the holder should kick the high bids up into overdrive.

Of course, so far, I'm completely wrong grin.gif.

James

Well, the seller responded, and I requested photos of the date, head and eagle, we'll see what happens. In the mean time, I am thinking of negotiating strategies to minimize risk should I decide to pursue this coin.

Well, I received the photos, and from the reverse shot, it seems like a nice solid AU coin. Curiously, he said he couldn't get a shot of the date and instead sent a photo of the slab. So, I basically replied with the terms under which I would buy the coin, first that he ship it to me, then I send it to NGC to cross. Once crossed I would send him a check for the price, no cross and I will send him back his coin. If he can live with my terms, at least I'll know if the coin is geniune, if he gets a better offer then good for him!

Well, I received the photos, and from the reverse shot, it seems like a nice solid AU coin. Curiously, he said he couldn't get a shot of the date and instead sent a photo of the slab. So, I basically replied with the terms under which I would buy the coin, first that he ship it to me, then I send it to NGC to cross. Once crossed I would send him a check for the price, no cross and I will send him back his coin. If he can live with my terms, at least I'll know if the coin is geniune, if he gets a better offer then good for him!

What about the holder? Do you get it back from crossover service?

What about the holder? Do you get it back from crossover service?

Normally you just get the insert, though with this strange holder it might be like ANACS where they send back the whole core.