• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does this '43 walker ddo actually exist?

6 posts in this topic

i've got this little variety book from 1963-64:

book1ub.jpg

and it has this 1943 double die walker listed:

walker3mt.jpg

i can't find this in any guides, or the breen, etc.. never heard of it, never seen it... i know there are subtle ddo's in all '43 mints, but this one looks rather 'extreme' - does this actually exist?

A doubled date can occur as the result of either hand punching the working die (a repunched date or RPD) or as the result of hub doubling (a doubled die obverse or DDO). I'm quite sure that the Mint hubbed dates into the working dies during the period that this coin was produced. So, if the coin were genuine, I'd expect to see evidence of extreme offset hub doubling on devices of the coin in addition to the date. I don't see it.

Has it occured to anyone that the date seems much more heavily struck than the rest of the coin? I'd bet on altered!

I think they highlighted the date to show you how it would look ... or does look...