• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I added a new member to my early comm. set

8 posts in this topic

I was able to add a nice coin to my early silver commem. set last week. It’s a 1936D San Diego Graded MS-67 by NGC. This design was also minted in 1935 at the San Francisco mint, however the 1935 dated coins mintage of 70,132 is more then double that of the 1936D’s mintage of 30,092. While not a particularly hard coin to find in lower MS grades, the 1936D San Diego becomes much tougher at the MS-67 grade level.

The obverse of my coin has a beautiful ring of lavender around the rim that fades into sky blue, then bright gold before becoming white at the very center of the coin. The ring of lavender is present on the reverse as well, but not as boldly as on the obverse. The luster is excellent and the entire coin has a silvery sheen to it.

Except for the typical strike weakness on the side of tower on the reverse, the coin is sharply struck. This strike weakness on the tower is common to all 1936D San Diego’s, and in fact I have never seen a 1936D with a fully struck tower. As one would expect for this grade, the coin is very clean mark wise.

Here are photos of the coin

1074595-1936dsandiegoobv.jpg1074597-1936dsandiegorev.jpg

Enjoy, and of course comments are welcome. smile.gif

John

A coin that could sit well alongside the Deleware and Arkansas you just posted (along with your other fabulous commems!!!). This is one of my favorite commems. I love the effigies and landmarks displayed. Minted 7 years after the last of California's state mammal was eliminated from the wild. frown.gif

Hoot

I like the eye appeal very much, it appears to have delicate and elegant toning on both sides. It should feel at home with your other coins. thumbsup2.gif