• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few New Minors for My Collection

2 posts in this topic

I added a few minors to me collection and thought I'd share.

1880309-008.jpg

This one is an upgrade to my Imperial German minor type set. The date/mint (Berlin) is probably the most common of all the 1/2 marks to find nice and this one is a dramatic example. Blast white with blazing luster and fully struck. Portions of the fields are prooflike. One little hairline on the reverse keeps it out of a 68 holder IMO.

1880329-011.jpg

Another upgrade for the Imperial German type set. While by no means rare, ths one is tougher than the 1/2 mark as there was no wartime hoarding. Exceptionally nice cartwheel luster for a copper nickel coin. Fully struck as typical with just a few blemishes on the reverse to limit the grade. I had a junky place holder coin in my set for the type so this one's arrival is particularly welcome.

1880395-003.jpg

One for my collection of Holy Roman Empire minors, probably the number two theme of my overall collection. Exceptionally well struck for they type with the hair and coat of arms all there. Super detail on the eagle feathers (unusual) and coat of arms. Well centered on a nice planchet. Subdued luster and clean surfaces. I have three other mint state Leopold 3k’s but all are from the Breslau mint while this one came from Vienna. My favorite of the four, you can really see the Hogmouth!

1880395-004.jpg

Another for the HRE minor collection, this one a Leopold 6k. In general the higher the denomination of these the tougher they are to find really well preserved. This one is very well struck on the obverse but somewhat weaker on the reverse -– you can see some missing detail in the crown and top of the coat of arms. Planchet is super as is the centering. What really sets this one apart (and helped this one earn a higher grade than the previous) is the luster. Brigth & flashy with some light mirrors on the reverse. In general, it seems that NGC prizes luster when handing out gem+ grades on early silver minors. I have another Leopold 6k in my collection in an MS63 holder but of a later type – this one blows that one away.

As always, comments are welcome!