• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampered with coin?

2 posts in this topic

I received a coin from a dealer and I believe it was tampered with. I it possible to get a coin out by inserting a tool in the bottom of a NGC holder and put another coin back in? The reason I ask is the coin is a 1898 Morgan dollar and it was graded MS66. It has a significant mark above the eyebrow? Could someone take a coin out of a NGC holder and put one back with out destroying the case. Would there be more viewable damage than the slot on the bottom of the coin. IF it wasnt what is NGC's policy if I send it back for regrading and it doesnt achieve a MS66? Am I do the difference?

MaTT

Hi Matt,

Our holder is tamper evident, so there would be obvious signs on the holder of being tampered with. If there are no such signs, and you feel the coin to be overgraded, you may send the piece back in under our appearance review tier. Here is more info on the appearance review, scroll down to the appearance review portion. LINK

Thanks,