• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Seated coins gaining popularity now?

12 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if more collectors are buying Seated Liberty coins, but I do think that the existing Seated Liberty collectors are buying more coins - collecting by variety seems to be gaining in popularity.

I think the seated material is getting a bit harder to find so therefore the prices are going on... people seem to be hanging on to there better peices and only selling the low end and problem coins....

oh my yes thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

but............

rare dates

cc and

higher grade proof

and ms

and circ coins

cloud9.gif with extra-special extra-ordinary qualities cloud9.gifhave

ALWAYS BEEN POPULAR

yes. they seem to have gone from simply being a type coin to being something to collect in toto. what has also happened, i believe, is a few smart people have noticed how rare almost all of the dates are--only a couple have mintages over a million, and most are 100K or less. morgans are downright easy compared to seated coins and generally cost a lot more. the downside, of course, is that in terms of the seated dimes, you may never get the cc dimes from the 1870s or the civil war era philadelphia mints. 1865 and the cc's were my shortcoming (one or two others--i had to settle for proof issues of 1879-81). but damn, they are pretty, especially like the ones above.

want to see a unique major die variety on a proof seated half dollar 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

well then take a look see cloud9.gifcloud9.gifhail.gifhail.gifshy.gif

It must be fake! If it were real, the banner would read........... IN MICHAEL WE TRUST .............and Lou would have to change his username.

Chris

yes. they seem to have gone from simply being a type coin to being something to collect in toto. what has also happened, i believe, is a few smart people have noticed how rare almost all of the dates are--only a couple have mintages over a million, and most are 100K or less. morgans are downright easy compared to seated coins and generally cost a lot more. the downside, of course, is that in terms of the seated dimes, you may never get the cc dimes from the 1870s or the civil war era philadelphia mints. 1865 and the cc's were my shortcoming (one or two others--i had to settle for proof issues of 1879-81). but damn, they are pretty, especially like the ones above.

Great info and quite interesting! Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

I like the Seated design, but there are simply too many different dates and mintmarks for me to start collecting. Adding in varieties would be even harder.

Not much. I certainly like them but in going to the shows the dealers haven't been telling me that all of a sudden, new collectors are getting into the seated coins. As collectors become more advanced over time seated coins will get their fair share of interest but not a huge amount until there are larger promotional efforts by dealers.