• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Liberty - Drapery

5 posts in this topic

I got this from Breen's Encyclopidia pp346

Mint Director Robert Maskell Patterson, never one to let a good thing alone, Decided that the Gobrecht designs needed improvement. He hired the Anglo-American miniaturist Robert Ball Hughes to rework the effigy of Ms. Liberty. Beside Fattening her arms, chipping away most of her rock, and enlarging the scroll with her name. Hugh's major contribution consisted in covering up most of her exposed skin in the interest of "Respectability," and in particularly burdening her with an impossibly bulky cloak over the crook of her elbow, which uncomfortable position doubtless explains her grimace.

Chris! What great bibliographic knowledge you impart! Thanks! smile.gif

Just bought my first fat-armed-Liberty seated coin today! An XF 1891 dime with great album toning. I'll have to post a scan of her diminutive throne, hefty scroll, and weighty drapery when I get around a scanner! laugh.gif

Hoot

I believe the concept was to make the relief of the dies shallower so that the dies would last longer. There were a number of other changes to the design. The drapery was only the most obvious.

And yes, I strongly agree with those who feel that the “No Drapery” coins are much more attractive than the “Drapery” pieces. As for Mr. Breen’s comments about Victorian sensibilities, I agree that the Victorians did have ridiculous attitudes, but I’m not sure that those values were truly reflected in Robert Ball Hughes’ design change.

There was much from Breen, especially in his latter years, that were highly speculative... One of the problems I have when quoting him is that I can never tell fact from fiction.

Of course, I mean no disrespect to the deceased who has forgotten (when he was alive) more about coins than I'll ever know.

EVP