• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy the coin not the holder?

11 posts in this topic

That's the conventional wisdom, right? I understand the premise behind it, but when a collection is on display so are the holders. I think that having consistent holders, assuming that the coins in them are also appealing, adds to the visual aesthetics of a collection.

I can't speak for all different coin series, but in the case of Peace silver dollars (my emphasis), there are enough quality coins in both NGC and PCGS holders that one can choose to look at holders first, coins second. I have, in fact, with my latest addition, achieved an entire set in NGC holders that have great eye appeal. It has always bothered me to have a mixture of holders in a relatively short set. I also think that silver coins look better against the white background of the NGC holder.

Comments?

I can agree with this thesis, in principle.

First and foremost, it's about the coins, so as a buyer that's what concerns me. However, all other things being equal, I can't help but notice the overall aesthetic of the display. Assuming the coins involved are of comparable quality and eye appeal, and assuming I'm creating an actual display (as opposed to a purely private collection), I'd be inclined to go with one TPG or the other because consistency of presentation appeals to me as icing on an already appealing cake.

You raise an interesting question, however, because (sadly) there are financial implications to this strategy if actually implemented. At present, certain coins command higher market prices (for whatever reason) when holdered by one TPG than by another. If you buy coins and not holders, you're likely to build a hybrid collection from multiple TPGs. The question then becomes whether to cross all to a single TPG for presentation purposes. Resale value suddenly becomes a consideration if preservation of investment is an issue.

Given this analysis, I can appreciate why many numismatists prefer to liberate their gems from the artificial constraints plastic imposes, then display and appreciate them for their inherent beauty and value.

Beijim

I am in the process of selling off all but my favorite holdered coins. I have a few short sets that are all holdered, and those will stay. I have lately, with my Franklin set and new Ike set, begun craking coins out of their coffins and placing them in Dansco albums. I very much see this as the future of my coin collecting. When I began collecting, it was all about holdered coins. I have since discovered a passion for coins with nice eye appeal, placed in quality albums. Oh the joy!!

I'm in TerrapinWill's camp. I've been putting together a Dansco type album, cracking out coins to fill the slots.

That being said, none of the coins I've freed have a retail value of over $500 (so far).

I do have several rather valuable slabs that range from $1000 to $5000 in value (theoretically only as I don't plan to part with them), and they are going to remain well-protected in their coffins in my safe deposit box.

But I do have a problem with the Dansco album: what happens when you get to the Seated Dollars???

when a collection is on display so are the holders. I think that having consistent holders, assuming that the coins in them are also appealing, adds to the visual aesthetics of a collection.

Of course! Most would agree as long as you don't pick the TPGS over the coin!! Eventually, when I get my type collection on par with what I want it, I will resubmit my collection for new, uniformed, consistent slabs from a reliable TPGS with a quality holder. And it wouldn't be to NGC if their slabs remain as they are, i.e. big, bulky, squared coffins.

Jazzy, I really like the '59 and CuNi IHC's. Nice. I still only have an XF FE cent but it is original. Just a space filler for now. But, Oh my, let me tell you about my two cent piece, 3CS and 3CN. Wow! So nice, so incredible that my mouth waters just thinking about them. I wish that I had images to share. All are high grade, beautifully toned proof pieces. Does it sound like I'm in love?

I've got quite a few of the holes filled, but I haven't taken pics yet.

I only started the set last year, so I'm anticipating to finish the album maybe in five years time. Also, I'm only collecting uncirculated pieces, so it's going to take some scratch to get it all done.

so it's going to take some scratch to get it all done.

You ain't kiddin' there, brother! But, that is part of the thrill of collecting, making acquitions when you can. Hell, if it was all easy then where would the joy be?