• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading

4 posts in this topic

Grading is usually done with the naked eye as that is generally the way the coin will be traded in the marketplace. Magnification is only used for counterfeit or alteration detection or in cases when a surface problem may be questioned. When maginification is used, it is usually a 3, 6, or 9 power loop. To authenticate particularly deceptive counterfeit coins, sometimes a scope is used.

Chris, NCS

Not to get off subject - When a coin is sent into NCS for conservation are the people doing the conservation also NGC graders ? In other words if I send in coins for conservation WHO decides wether they are conservation candidates and are NGC gradable - Does someone come over from NGC to verify it and then sent over to there to be graded.

Point in case is I have two Mercury dimes ( Yes those ) the 16d and the 42/41.

The 16d was removed from a ANACS holder F2 and installed into a dansco - the other is presently in a ANACS holder as scratched but I can find one. Either way I want both coins holdered in either a NGC or NCS slab.

Mike

confused-smiley-013.gif

When coins are submitted to NCS for professional conservation, they are first evaluated. The initial evaluation is to determine whether the coin will benefit from conservation. If the coin is already certified, the currently stated grade will also be considered to see if that grade will at least be maintained through the conservation process. If the coin will benefit from conservation and, if submitted as a certified coin, it will reasonable maintain its currently stated grade, it will then be conserved. At least one of the evaluators is an NGC grader.

In the case of raw coins, they will be first evaluated, then conserved, then separated according to their gradeability according to NGC standards. This is done by an NGC grader. A coins ability to grade with NGC is only an issue in the evaluation stage if it appears to have a surface problem and the problem is such that conservation would lead to a worse appearance to the surface of the coin or a potentially less stable coin.

Chris, NCS