• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C. 55 BC AR Denarius P.L. Crassus

7 posts in this topic

My last Heritage purchase from the NYINC auction.

I know nothing about it. I liked the design and the color and it was well below the pre-sale estimate.

Heritage says: C. 55 BC AR Denarius A. Plautius. Bacchius beside camel; IVDAEVS. Crawford 431/1. ICG AU50

crassus.jpg

It was in a two coin lot with a Julia Mamaea. Rome. Juno and peacock. ICG VF25. I have no idea which coin holds more value and have no interest in the Julia Mamaea. It was the camel coin that did it for me. I placed a low ball bid and won.

I'm not sure why (perhaps the early auction date before the NYINC show), but a lot of the stuff seemed really cheap. The overall selection seemed rather poor to me, so that might have kept some of the buyers away.

Do you check the eBay auctions often? Lots seem to go fairly cheap as far as I can tell. Perhaps people are scared of counterfeits? The Otacilia Severa I got, which looks uncirculated, I showed to my local dealer who knows ancients fairly well. He said it was a steal at $27 and that he'd get 2-3 times that for it even wholesale.