• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just picked this up.... Barber Quarter 1913... whats a good PRICE?

7 posts in this topic

Greysheet EF40 bid is $300 but that is for an accurately graded, problem-free example. Before I saw the holder label on your coin I was thinking EF40-cleaned. It turns out that that is exactly what ANACS thought, too. In my opinion, this coin is worth significantly less than $300 because of the cleaning.

Until recently, ANACS would provide a "net grade" on its slab, which would essentially be its estimate of the market price of the coin.

Depending on the severity of the cleaning, the net grade of this coin would probably be in the VF range.

The Grey Sheet's Bid/Ask for this coin in VF-20 is $135/$150 and Coin Values' VF-20 retail price is $175.

However, most experienced collectors will tend to avoid net graded coins in favor of original coins, so it's possible that this coin would have limited marketability to a sophisticated audience (unless it's sufficiently uncommon that even a "messed with" example is desirable).

By the way, for future reference, you might want to make this sort of post in advance of any purchase, just in case what we say might influence your purchase decision.

I had purposefully avoided giving my estimation of value on the coin in my first post for exactly the reasons that DaveG pointed out. For me, this coin is much too common an issue to buy with problems such as cleaning. Therefore, my estimation of value is likely lower than what other folks might pay. If I were at a show and someone really wanted me to buy the coin from them it would have to be priced at Greysheet VF20 in order for me to buy it and temporarily own it as I would then re-sell the coin for not much more than that level. Please keep in mind that this is simply my opinion and others may pay more or less than that.