• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is hot and what is not in this current market?

12 posts in this topic

in your opinion in this current market what type of coin or coins are the current red hot darlings of the market where the demand is there and can be instantly sold? and most importantly why??

and what coin or coins and you can be as specific as you want to what coins or coin is currently not in demand or little demand in this current us coin market? and why???????

any comments?

sincerely michael

159068-small67half.jpg.11db8462df06adf57f4c435ca944da40.jpg

One of the "red hot darlings" is the buffalo nickel. Why? Most people in modern day know about them and like them. It is a very appealing design and a reasonable "next step" for new collectors. Most who begin collecting them do so without knowing much about the series, especially the cost of key dates!

One of the "what's not" are two cent pieces. Only seasoned collectors know much of anything about them, let alone the fact that they exist. Those who collect the conditional rarities are few, making most affordable the collection of examples not on the bleeding edge. Great series with a wonderful but short history.

Hoot

Not much has changed in the last few months. Top end moderns & registry set material are on fire. Walkers remain popular, as are higher grade Washington Quarters.

The Shield Nickel -- IMO the ugliest coin of the 19th Century -- remains firmly entombed, as do Liberty Nickels below supergrade (MS 66 or better). Barber and Seated Dimes and Quarters (the latter, with motto) are also the darlings of people that like visiting cemeteries. SLQs are also dead, especially if Unc. & without the FH designation.

I'd like to know if Bust $s are still being hyped. I gave up on trying to find a slabbed AU 50-5 a year or so ago.

Buffalo nickels are popular because they are beautiful coins and make an attractive collection in almost any grade. Perhaps more important to their current strenght is the large numbers of baby boomers returning to collecting after many years away from the hobby. Buffalos are very popular among these collectors.

I have not noticed that Standing Liberty quarters are dead. I can sell every Mint State piece I can get my hands on at fair wholesale money, full head or not. The main requirements are that the coin is really Mint State (No rub on the knee) and that it is attractive.

wow all great responses the buffs i think will only get better and bill the standers that are attractive and in choice or higher mintstatre grades with absolutely no rub on the knee are in my minds eye really uncommon coins!!!!!!!!!! and not easy to find full head or not and also if something is not full head where a full head is virtually non existant then that is even an extra plus plus

sincerely michael

One of the "red hot darlings" is the buffalo nickel. Why? Most people in modern day know about them and like them.

got a funny call at the shop today. guy wanted to know how much the coin with the indian on one side and the sheep on the otherside was worth.

• Administrator
One of the "red hot darlings" is the buffalo nickel. Why? Most people in modern day know about them and like them.

got a funny call at the shop today. guy wanted to know how much the coin with the indian on one side and the sheep on the otherside was worth.

Don't let hoot hear about that. He'll implode or something. (laughing)

It all depends on if you are talking about the real world market or the over-the-counter coin dealer.

As for OTC, hot will be what ever they have under glass and cold will be whatever you have to sell.

As for the real world... it would be whatever the "newbies" can afford to continue their new found hobby.

I'm hereby changing the name of my buffalo nickel collection to Hoot's Mutton mutton.

grin.gif

laugh.gif Hoot

Great story cointageous!!!!!!!