• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this Barber Half 1913?

11 posts in this topic

Nice Coin Overall----Should go Vf 25--30---Hard to tell from pictures but may have been messed with [dipped??] a little sometime in its past. Still a nice piece for a tuff date. Definitely worth owning at the right price. Bob [supertooth]

It is a just miss EF. I'd give it a VF35-30. It is hard to exactly say from the picture. Like supertooth said, it may have been cleaned and retoned. That brown/tan toning is retoning.

VF25, definitely dipped and retoned.

Nevertheless, it is a semi-key date. Less than 200k were minted in Philly that year.

The D and S issues are a bit more common.

What are you considering paying for it?

It's funny that you should post a 1913 Barber half here as I just sold one on ebay in a PCGS VF30 holder. This coin appears to be safely within the VF grade range, given the low resolution of the images, and might be VF30+/-5. However, the surfaces look off-color and there does not appear to be any obvious gunk on the coin, which leads me to believe it has been dipped at some point. The major TPGs have no trouble slabbing Barber halves that look like this, but I could not guarantee to you that it would not bag.

There is another thing to mention about this coin; the mintage is actually slightly less than 200,000 and that is significantly less than has been alluded to prior in this thread.

If the buyer of the PCGS VF30 1913 does not want the coin, for whatever reason, I will shoot you a PM if you are interested.

There is another thing to mention about this coin; the mintage is actually slightly less than 200,000 and that is significantly less than has been alluded to prior in this thread.

If the buyer of the PCGS VF30 1913 does not want the coin, for whatever reason, I will shoot you a PM if you are interested.

Ok, let me know... thanks Tom.

Coin is a VF35, IMHO, but cleaned and retoning to a dull grey. Its a scarce date in VF and above and this is a good filler until an original coin becomes available.