• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Genuine Imitations -- So why the interest?

3 posts in this topic

Howdy folks,

So I've got this item for sale on eBay and it's garnering a lot more interest than I anticipated (granted, I thought it was worthless since most of the coins are replicas). Anyone care to wager a guess as to why people are interested?

Thanks in advance for any information. I'm really just curious at this point, the sale will be over in less than a day.

1057020-bicentenniel.jpg.6698f1ec51210921dfea6af6623a5da9.jpg

The reason it got the bids it did is just that..... people like ultra rare coins... that they cannot afford... so in turn they go for the next best thing... a copy....

The only colonial chain coin I've ever won was a reproduction , I've bid on several , Ebay , Heritage , Teletrade , etc ...keep getting outbid . I've won a few colonial coins with King George and Spanish 8s but no luck on the chains...so I got a good repro with the correct weight and composition , but the word 'copy' stamped into it for the time being . I know it is kinda cheesy , but I actually like the repro as I can toss it around and throw it on the dresser and not worry about destroying it....makes a conversation starter ( where I get leads on coins for sale) when I carry it around and pull it out of my pocket.