• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some opinions on this Large Cent

11 posts in this topic

I found this cent in a coin album I have, I think I must have bought it maybe 20 years ago. It's a nice original well-circulated 1816 cent, but I was wondering if any of you copper experts could tell me more about it (i.e. is it a common variety, strike quality, grade, etc.). Thanks for any information you can provide!

1816p1cobv.JPG

1816p1crev.JPG

Not a key date, as over 2 mil were minted, but it is the first year of production. Newcomb lists 9 varieties. If memory serves me, a large hoard of these was discovered at some point in time which makes high grade examples easy to acquire, but I'm not remembering the details offhand.

I'd grade this one at VG maybe - hard to grade from pics.

I couldn't tell you the variety, but Jazzy is writing about the Randall Hoard of large cents. For those not familiar with these, this was a hoard of large cents found in Georgia shortly after the end of the Civil War. They were hidden near a railway station and may have been purposely put there in order to keep them from being looted.

However, I believe the redemption period for large cents had since expired and the banks would not take the coinage in exchange for newer pieces. The hoard was eventually sold at ninety cents on the dollar to JS Randall and hence acquired his name. It took decades to sell all the coins at a few cents each.

The dates ranged from 1816-1820 with many of the uncirculated extant pieces from this time windown coming from this single hoard. The prototypical Randall Hoard coin is the 1820 with the dramatic die crack crossing through all the obverse stars.

As far as your piece goes, I cannot help, but the opportunity to blab on would not be passed... 893blahblah.gif

Thank you, thank you. acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Now, for my next trick, I will make an image of the prototypical 1820 Randall Hoard large cent appear below-

1056906-B1820N66BN.jpg

This is an NGC MS66BN piece that is in my type set and that I believe you have seen in person, John. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1056906-B1820N66BN.jpg.3855802769ff9d730e916f56ebde2c63.jpg

If you like the look of these you are in luck. Since this is a hoard coin there are relatively pletny available and the price is substantially less than if it were a tougher date. Of course, most coins of this issue do not have as much eye appeal as the one pictured, but they are plenty nice.

Thanks for all your help guys, and Tom, feel free to continue blabbing at will, at leasst I enjoy it!

Chiming in late here, Jeff - your cent is an N.8 and is generally considered an R3- (on the less rare side of R3, 201-600 estimated extant). Condition census for this piece falls in the MS60 to 65 (EAC) realm.

Great coin. Yours looks like a G6 to 8 EAC. Tough to tell by the photo.

Hoot