• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts about Population Reports....

17 posts in this topic

I've thought of something concerning population reports. I've read that they can be a little skewed because people routinely resubmit the same coins repeatedly in hope of attaining a higher grade.

I wonder why these grading firms can't tag the coin itself; say a microscopic laser mark in the rim to identify that it's been graded already. This would prevent skewed population and census reports. It's my opinion that if there are many resubmitted coins then the reports are worthless.

Any thoughts?

Most agree that much of the data is worthless as you say. It is only when there are 1000s of data samples does the error lower enough to make it statistically meaningful. Therefore, the "pop top" one or two coin data that is taken for say MS69 proofs or whatever is rather meaningless.

In reality, if you have say one graded coin graded at MS68 and 10 graded at MS67 there is NO way to know which of those 11 coins are really the nicest unless you actually see the coins themselves. This just shows the absurdity of the Registry set game some play to get their "pop top" points...but I digress...

jom

In reality, if you have say one graded coin graded at MS68 and 10 graded at MS67 there is NO way to know which of those 11 coins are really the nicest unless you actually see the coins themselves. This just shows the absurdity of the Registry set game some play to get their "pop top" points

Absolutely correct!

John

I suppose that the grading services could mark the coins to ensure that they don't get graded again and again, but why would they voluntarily cut off such a lucrative stream of revenue?

Also, the grade of a coin could legitimately be different from one year to the next, as the graders become more experienced with a particular series.

Remember, they're all for-profit companies, not charities, nor do they employ saints, just regular (albeit highly skilled) people.

Aside from rubbing them on my anal glands I don't mark my coins, either.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder if that could be why so many of your coins are incredibility toned. devil.gif

John

Would you like me to work on your coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or, perhaps, would you like to come over some night and I could show you how it's done? You know, give you a hand, so to speak. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif NO…NO, that’s O.K. I think I’ll just continue to admire the finished product thank you. foreheadslap.gif

It has been awhile since we’ve seen each other though. Maybe you, DaveG, and I can get together for coin party. It would be great to see Jeremy again too, but he’s probably tied up with school right now. You guys let me know if you want to work something out.

John

Aside from rubbing them on my anal glands I don't mark my coins, either. 893whatthe.gif

What is best to eat? Red cabbage or beets to help tone my coins magenta/violet? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

Aside from rubbing them on my anal glands I don't mark my coins, either. 893whatthe.gif

What is best to eat? Red cabbage or beets to help tone my coins magenta/violet? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

Magenta, violet? I think that's a different procedure that has something to do with asparagus. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Magenta, violet? I think that's a different procedure that has something to do with asparagus. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope. Asparagus only creates green pee....it is worthless as an anal AT agent. frown.gif

Aside from rubbing them on my anal glands I don't mark my coins, either.

Ah...now we know how that Washington in your avatar got to be blazing red. poke2.gif

jom