• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued material....

21 posts in this topic

Look for auction items that sell on the last day of a large show, such as FUN, Baltimore, and Long Beach. Many items sell for relatively inexpensive amounts.

TRUTH

It depends on what you mean by "undervalued."

Coins that sit in dealer's inventories for a very long time are there for a reason - no one wants them. Frequently, these coins will be marked down to "bargain" prices. Are they undervalued? (You might think so, until you try to sell them.)

Some coin series are perennially less expensive than other coin series due to their lack of "popularity", such as two-cent pieces and three-cent pieces. They're less expensive because there are more coins available than there are collectors who collect them. Are they undervalued? (Only if a lot more collectors suddenly decide to collect them.)

The coin market has been gaining in popularity since the mid-90s. Prices for most coins have increased, some significantly, over the past ten years. It's hard for me to say that any particular coin series is "undervalued".

On the other hand, quality coins never go out of style. If you buy desirable coins that a lot of other collectors are always happy to buy, you'll never get them at a "bargain" price, but you'll usually be able to sell them at a premium price, too.

On the other hand, quality coins never go out of style. If you buy desirable coins that a lot of other collectors are always happy to buy, you'll never get them at a "bargain" price, but you'll usually be able to sell them at a premium price, too.

I agree with this statement. I'm concentrating on key dates for the most part in high grade (the highest I can afford). I think that over the long run, those have the greatest chance of retaining, gaining, or losing as little value as possibe).

Any thoughts on Seated Dimes? That seems a little less popular to me.

The advice to buy "key coins" has been around for quite a while and the increased number of people following it has been, in my opinion, a major factor in the significant price increases we've seen for key coins.

Here's my questions:

1. How do you know that the coins you're buying are attractive for their grade? (I've seen a lot of slabbed coins - common and key - that I won't buy because I don't like them.)

2. To whom do you expect to sell your coins (when you do decide to sell them)? Do you expect to sell that 1909-S VDB cent to a Lincoln collector who needs it to finish his set or do you expect to sell it to someone who, like you, is following the advice to buy key coins? In either case, you're hoping for an increase in the population of that kind of collector, but often, set collectors will hold on to their coins for longer than someone who's essentially speculating on a price increase.

IMHO, Seated Dimes are more popular than Barber dimes and both series have common and major, scarce dates and MM's (including most of the Seated CC dates). Personally, I prefer the seated series aesthetically. Seated dimes also have (6) major varieties, plus (2) minor ones. Barber dimes only have two.

oh my undervalued material

well first all the coins as per the below have to be killer eye appeal and at least solid if not high end for the grade and be pcgs/ngc and all of these coins again as per the below have not moved up crazy like many other market segments and are great collector and historical coinage that has a fumendntial reason to rise in value cloud9.gif

a gem proof classic head half cent that is cameoed with no spots or stains a nice red brown coin and for me the ultimate would be an 1834 one of those special diplomatic V.I.P. special presentation coins and a complete no brainer full strike with a proof die and double struck

any small eagle daddy dollar that is problem free adjustment mark free and with full rims both sides and also no planchet problems a vf to choice vf collector coin these are undervalued and also aremany many times scarcer than the large eagle daddy dollars get a sexy date like 1795 96 97

a really choice to gem unc. full strike even coloration non streaky non spotty bright lusterous totally original 1859 indian head cent as this is the only indian head cent dated in the 1850;s and is a one year type coin to boot sexy!! and always the object of great demand

a gem unc. almost full strike monster toned never dipped and definately not secondary toned type two fish scale one of the most undervalued of all 19th century biz strike type coins hail.gif and an extremely short type coin series

Coins that sit in dealer's inventories for a very long time are there for a reason - no one wants them. Frequently, these coins will be marked down to "bargain" prices. Are they undervalued? (You might think so, until you try to sell them.)

So very true. I will go so far as to say that an individual is not even a true collector until he has also dealt on the other side and sold coins as well. It gives a balanced education in numismatics.

It depends on what you mean by "undervalued."

Some coin series are perennially less expensive than other coin series due to their lack of "popularity", such as two-cent pieces and three-cent pieces. They're less expensive because there are more coins available than there are collectors who collect them. Are they undervalued? (Only if a lot more collectors suddenly decide to collect them.)

The coin market has been gaining in popularity since the mid-90s. Prices for most coins have increased, some significantly, over the past ten years. It's hard for me to say that any particular coin series is "undervalued".

This is one of the most intelligent quotes that I have ever read here. Excellent advice!

a really choice to gem unc. full strike even coloration non streaky non spotty bright lusterous totally original 1859 indian head cent as this is the only indian head cent dated in the 1850;s and is a one year type coin to boot sexy!! and always the object of great demand

takeit.gif

gem unc full red matte proof lincoln cents with the 1909-p leading the pack

gem unc full stars wildly toned twenty cent pieces most probably 1875-s and with great lustre and eye appeal

Here's one for you Victor, grin.gif

Strong strike, with fields that are very smooth and lusterous and a bright even color, but a few spots keep this coin from being a real gem, but I feel it is a solid MS64 never the less.

1859cent-o.jpg1859cent-r.jpg

I've done lusted after that one already and committed adultery with it in my mind the first time that I saw it. crazy.gif

Great coin, Paul.

Thanks for the great comments on my IHC, I didn’t mean to highjack the thread, but….

Victor did ask, confused-smiley-013.gif and it is undervalued. thumbsup2.gif

But I am glad you guys like it, this coin is one of my favorites. Bought at a local show eight years ago, then had PCGS misgraded it a couple of years ago. At this point I’m not going to sweat the holder; the only way this coin leaves my sweaty little paws would be if I to get a proof to take its place in the type set.

Jason, you noted the feather tips along with the diamonds, that’s a good point about the strike on IHC, especially with the “fatties”. IMO, you see more IHCs with good detail on the neck hair and head band, diamonds, than cents having fully detailed feathers out to their tips and those other details too. I have seen a lot of MS64 and some MS65s that lack the details in the tips of the feathers, but had nice full diamonds.

Buy coins you will enjoy, that have good eye appeal, that appear accurately graded or are excellent examples in that grade, that you can buy with discretionary income. Don't worry about what other people like or don't like. Buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy.

If you're looking to buy undervalued coins, I assume you hope to make money. Good luck with that.

as for the seated dimes and popularity, i can add a bit of wisdom here. i just sold my near complete collection--i had all but about 8 of the total varieties. the "easy dates" tanked (about 20 qualify in this category), but the rest sold for well over redbook averages, even the stuff that was damaged (and most of the dimes you find will have problems or will be worn). what i can say is that while they might be undervalued, the collectors out there are avid and you will have to fight for any quality coin that appears on the market. i got out of the seated dime game because the final 8 were essentially impossible to get in any condition other than what i lovingly call "uggo." my obsessive compulsive nature said sell them or go insane. i sold them, but i still may be insane. should you venture in the seated dime waters, good luck. what i might suggest, however, are seated half dimes. there are a lot fewer varieties, and a lot fewer collectors at teh moment.

whatever you choose, coins are fun (but buy certified when possible).