• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Appalachian horde Jefferson Nickel

16 posts in this topic

I was interested in Appalachian horde Jefferson nickels. So I bought one. It seems I buy lots of coins I learn about from various posts wink.gif

These have to be the Peacock Ikes of the Jefferson series. Or those colorful 1945-S Mercury dimes. This kind of coin is better with a story.

These nickels must come from a group of coins sent to NGC from somewhere in Applachia. I figured that out from the name and the fact that the only ones I've seen are in NGC holders smile.gif Can anyone tell us more about them? I would like more details! Has anyone done any research into these?

1945-D-Jeff-Ms64-Star-Obv.jpg1945-D-Jeff-Ms64-Star-Rev.jpg

Carl, I know zippo about these coins, but I've seen a few, and they are EXTREMELY attractive......well, for a modern coin anyway wink.gif

I was impressed when I saw the grouping that I did.

I posted about these coins at the PCGS boards and will use their search feature to try to find what I wrote. Normally I would not be optimisitc about finding anything, however, the other day I did a search and it worked well.

Tom, please do. I own two of these now (both NGC MS67* coins) and the toning is outragious!!

They are probably two of the prettiest Jeffersons I've seen and from what I've gathered, there are about 50 of these known.

It's an interesting story, I'm sure, if we could only get the orginial finder to come on aboard and relate it to us.

I own two of these now (both NGC MS67* coins) and the toning is outragious!!

If you could be pursuaded to post photos of these, I'm sure many would like to see them cool.gif.

Regards,

Beijim

Very nice Carl

I've heard about as much as you have about these coins, I wish I could tell you more. Very nice addition to your collection.

Leo

Damn! that's a pretty nickel Carl! And Pat, what are you doing with TWO???!!! mad.gifwink.gif I also wish to know more, as I've heard nada, except they're all mine, ya'all. blush.gifgrin.gif

Rhett

Uh, Hoot

It's an interesting story, I'm sure, if we could only get the orginial finder to come on aboard and relate it to us.

I don't know the original finder of the coins, but I do know a large portion if not all of the coins were consigned to Andy Kimmel, of Paragon Numismatics. I'll see Andy at the Central States Show tomorrow, and ask if he will come on the Boards and give a little history.

Thanks everybody! I just love the Internet, so many interesting people are connected!

Braddick - You must have a neat coin collection! Don't you also have a Peacock Ike? I'm happy to have one of these Jeffs and you have two!!!

I received a PM from someone who got a bunch of these coins. Apparently Andy of Paragon and this person split up the bunch.

Apparently the person who collected these coins had loads of war nickels (mostly D and P mints) in rolls and had them stashed all over, in metal boxes, grain sacks and so on. This person brought them to a high end dealer who bought them all. That dealer didn't want to deal with these so sent them to NGC and passed them along.

Carl,

Her name is Kim, and I heard the same story.

I also understand there will be a "second" hoard entering the market soon- but that is only a rumor, I have yet to have that confirmed through a second source.

On a related note: I was so interested in the Peacock Hoard of Ikes back in the early ninties I flew to Salt Lake City to kind of 'hunt them down', if you will.

Over the course of the last nine years I've obtained 17 of them- mostly holdered in PCGS but some are still raw in a Dansco.

I purchased four at Long Beach from the originator of the hoard- each in PCI holders. EACH one crossed into PCGS as well they should. Tad of Supercoin was also instrumental in finding me three others, each PCGS graded.

-As soon as I get to where I learn how to post a photo over here, I'll do so.

Art, thanks for jogging my memory on Andy Kimmel, he was at FUN with these nickels and also lead a seminar on toning. He seems like a great guy. They truly are amazing coins.

The Appalachian Hoard Collection was named for the geographic region the original collector lived his entire life. The man apparently did not believe in displaying his collection. He left most of the coins in their original rolls, some loose in all sorts of containers, others stashed away...he had a few mints sets and some morgans. The bulk of the collection was Jefferson War Nickels. The original dealer who purchaed the collection several years ago, sent them to NGC. NGC graded the nickels, and determined that many were deserving of the NGC Star for the exceptional eye-appeal in these beauties. Not all were pretty. Some were so deeply toned they were never even submitted. When the boxes came back from NGC, I selected a number for my own collection on the spot, and as offered the right to consign the hoard. I respectfully declined, and that was when Andy was given a small portion of the hoard. It is greater than 50 coins, for the record....

Now, in January of this year I was again asked to bring a portion of these coins to market, and I accepted. They are indded some of the most stunning coins I have ever seen.

I personally do not believe in linking my auctions to my posts. If anyone has further questions, feel free to PM me.

grin.gif

Gentlemen and Ladies. I have purchased seveveral of the Appalachian Nickels from both Andy and Kim and have been especially pleased with the coins. I had the privilige of meeting Kim in person and was mesmorized by not only her charming personality but better yet her comprehensive knowledge of the rare coin market. I have seen her coins in person and they are superior to her pictures. She has advised me which of her coins are pq through friendly and informative emails...all in all an A-1 seller and a dynamite human being.(and not bad looking either ) smirk.gif