• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More new sets!

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just added are short sets for Coronet Liberty Quarter Eagles and Half Eagles 1900-08. The ten and twenty short sets will probably come next week.

Cool it is. Thanks, David. It is not within the reach of most of us to complete an entire Liberty set from 1840-1908. The sheer size and length of the set, to say nothing of the rarities involved, does not make it feasible. Whereas, a "short set" from 1900 to 1908 is much more reasonable to complete.

Any plans to add Sacagawea's to the Registry. Seem like popular coins, especially since mint is considering discontinuing this issue-at least from the little I have read about this series.

One other question. Why are certain 2002 coins not allowed to be included in sets until December. NGC allows most to be included. PCGS is even strickter. Just trying to understand the philophsy on this. The only coin I know is the 2002 SAC's on NGC. Probably others.

Thank you.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Regardless of denomination, coins of recent issue are difficult to score. Their relative rarity in various grades is still being determined, so there's always a delay in establishing scores. The Sacagawea set is comprised entirely of fairly recent coins, and that accounts for the delay in creating this registry set.

We could put the set out there now, and then be continually changing the scores, or we can wait until we have more confidence that the certified population represents actual rarity. We believe it's better to not be changing the scores frequently, as that tends to upset collectors who've already posted their sets.

Thanks for the response. I understand the trouble involved with ever-changing scores on modern coins.

With that topic in mind, do you know why the Indiana and Mississippi State quarters are only given only 319 points in MS68 and the other 2002 designs given 673? Also, do you find the scoring of State Quarters to be a problem as well as the Sac's? Thanks!

I asked this question in the forums and got mixed reactions. First, let me say that over 50% of the 200+ coins I own are NGC coins. I also applaud your allowing both NGC/PCGS coins. You attract finer and more diverse sets.

Question: I own a full 40 coin PCGS PR69DCAM set of Proof State Quarters. PCGS has graded less than 30 of these coins PR70DCAM. NGC has graded well over 1,000 PF70UC. I can get no more than 3 points for a 40 coin set that has >30 PR70's competing against NGC 70's with a very large population. 75% of my PCGS quarters have none graded higher.

Where there is a grossly inflated difference in grading, can't a rarirty factor be utilized to put both collectors-PCGS/NGC or collectors that have mixed collections on an even playing field in the Registry? Thank You, Tom Gilliams